To boot foot or not [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: To boot foot or not

Paxton
02-26-2003, 06:20 AM
Been using stockingfoot waders and not matter what I do....SAND in the boots. Thinking of replacing with boot foot style....but concerned about comfort. Any advice out there will be appreciated.

Eddie
02-26-2003, 08:50 AM
If these will be used mostly on the beach, boot foots are hard to beat.

Penguin
02-26-2003, 08:51 AM
I've been using pull-on-zip-up flatz booties...they still let in some sand and the zipper tends to get fouled...but they are the best option (other than a' la naturale) I've found. Suits me well.
A certain "BeachNinja" duct tapes the top of his booties and it's probably the best solution I've seen so far...

If you really want the weight of a bootfoot...
Chota makes a great wader with a lace up felt boot...Pricey but good.
Orvis makes a lug sole...better price but very baggy cut.
Cabela sells a neoprene with a lace up felt bootfoot for a good price...too hot and damp for marching the sand...They also sell a very interesting, reasonably priced Dry-Plus breathable with a lace up felt bottom sole...I've talked to "product development" folks suggesting a lug sole for the sandy beach bunch...
Weshallsee!?
Chota is working on a lace up lug sole...maybe next season?! I'll be first in line to try them on...unless Cabela beat$ them to it...
In the meantime...I'm going to buy some duct tape and work on my martial artz techniques.
:D

Roop
02-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Stocking foot with duct tape gaters.

BigDave
02-26-2003, 09:08 AM
If you're only on the beach, buy bootfoots. I have seen the chota's and they are impressive - but expensive.

I will never buy another pair of orvis waders.

If you're trout/river fishing, bootfoots aren't going to cut it unless you don't mind sprained ankles, limited mobility and the occasional swim downstream, laces or not. :D

I do most of my SW fishing on the flats and find that barefoot works just fine from mid-june on. A little sand in my boots for the few times I fish before then does not justify an extra pair of waders to me.

steelheadmike
02-26-2003, 09:16 AM
I have been using Orvis Silver Label Boot Foot breathable waders and I have been impressed so far ( not a fan of the brand but I got them at cost and needed a pair in a hurry ). I switched all my waders to boot foot. I find that they are easier to get on and off and can wear and extra pair of socks or two and not have the circulation in feet cut off. Poor Circulation = cold feet.

FishHawk
02-27-2003, 05:02 AM
I have tried the stocking foot waders and the sand has put holes in my wders don't want to ducktape everytime. I think the lace up bootfoot is the way to go but the price is the factor. Might go with Cabels. Or do like the Ironman and wear shorts and sandles. FishHawk:D

Paxton
02-27-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks Gentlemen,
I wound up driving to Freeport ( LL BEAN ) and tried their "satisfaction gauranteed" attitude. Their attitude was unbelieveable....no problem, actually urged me to exchange them for another type and even thanked me for coming in. After I got up from fainting I tried on and repurchased a pair of their West Branch boot foot waders. No more sand for me and they seemed comfortable as I tested them throughout the tackle department. They too mentioned that duct tape was the only sure way to avoid sand with stocking foot, but can't see doing that. They recommended the knobby rubber sole bottom for traction when not on the flats.
These new waders may not be the ultimate, but solving my problem for my old ones plus $30 seemed like the thing to do.
Maybe now I'll purchace duct tape for my ankles when I stoop low and venture out to a local stream for the wiley 6 inch brook trout ;)
See you on the flats....I'll be the guy not sitting on the beach, emptying his shoes
:D

juro
03-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Careful with openly discussing my duct tape tactics on line, I am having a monomoy sand colored batch made up and it will be marketed as "disposable invisible gaitors". :hehe:

It's a simple approach that reduces the invasion of sand to a few grains, and it can be obtained in several flats-a-licious colors like white, blue, black, red, yellow, as well as classic HVAC gray.

I prefer stocking foot and disposable gaitors because the high ends waders are too expensive for me to buy for the various fisheries I indulge in. When I go out west I wear stream boots with cleated felt. When I walk the flats I wear flats boots. Same pair of Simms guide waders.

BUT... if they made boot foots with an appropriate boot for what we do here I'd buy them if i could afford them. You get zero sand, but those frankenstein boots with felt bottoms are for mountain streams and not that final trek back to the car over soft sand on a hot summer day.

In my opinion, the industry does not give us what we need for this niche. We are rapidly reaching a presence where we might consider asking for what we need instead of trying to accept what the store shelves have to offer. That is, by the way one of the founding principles of the forum - to reach a size wherein we can lobby for products we need instead of trying to adapt the things that don't fit to what we do.

Juro

pmflyfisher
03-03-2003, 09:02 AM
For rivers and lots of walking - stocking foot, breatheables, my feet can take the cold in the winter.

PM Out

Paxton
03-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Juro, I agree with your asssesment......they just don't make what we need, everything out there is a compromise one way or another.....let's all lobby for: "Monomoy Waders". This esteemed group should be able to come up with a design. I found that even cutting off the foot part of a large size of neopreme socks and pulling over the boot laces, did not do the trick....the sand when under at the bottom of the covered laces and then up and into the boots.
PAXTON DESIGN: I think that stocking foot design with boots that have both ...zipper fronts and then laces over the zipper for tightening would do the trick. Then waders would have an attached pull down section (over the front of the boot) with an adjustable elastic bottom that could be tightened and secured. Whatdayouthink???? Of course the design would have an "honorary" faux duct tape trim on it.
I will think of you as I trudge through and over the sand this Spring in my boot foots....one benefit, is that I will lose the 10 extra pounds I put on this winter. Maybe , with the weight loss, I will become invisible. I may even put on a strip of "sand" colored duct tape in your honor :hehe:

jfbasser
03-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Carry some Moleskin for those bootfoot blisters! You can always cut off a piece and make a sand eel if you run out of flies! Better than siliskin:hehe:

Striper
03-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Well I just had to chime in on this thread to tell you I had the same problem many years ago and after much searching found the answer at Orvis. I know there are alot of Orvis haters out there but this company has done me right time after time. They literally bend over backwards to keep me happy and for that I am a customer for life. I bought a pair of their guide weight stocking foot 5 mm. neoprene waders several years ago and have never bought another pair since. This is due to their warrantee, when they leaked and they all did, I just sent them back and they sent me another pair for free. I even have 2 pairs now as one pair that was supposed to go back never made it in the mail. I just fixed them up with alot of Aquaseal and they are a usable backup now. The great thing about these waders and the only reason why I chose them is that they have a built in/sewn in gravel guard on the lower leg just above the ankle. These things have kept just about every grain of sand out except for the rare huge breaking surf trip I have been on, and even on those days I only had to evacuate the boots once during the day. Now if you want a wader that is comfortable in the heat of summer these are not the ones for you, but during those times I just wet wade anyway. I never liked the boot foot waders as there was too much movement of my foot inside the boot when submerged, they did not provide the support I was looking for. The new lace up boot foots might be the answer to this problem but I have not had a chance to try them on.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

BigDave
03-05-2003, 10:00 AM
I know a lot of the western companies have gone to stocking foot waders with attached gravel guards that fold over all the laces of the boot. I would think that is a pretty good solution.

I think most of the sand gets into the boot from the drain holes anyway. Not much you can do about that unless you'd rather slog around in wading boots full of water.

The only solution I can think of is something like the Chota breathable bootfoots w/ laces but a convertable version where you can remove the fleece interior of the boot and replace with coolmax or something...

Paxton
03-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Dave, I agree with your "drain hole" theory......I'm sure that was at least part of the problem.....sand in boots is one thing....but the sand even got into the lining of the boot near the drain holes. Walking with a lump in the lining was no fun and there was no way to remove it.