Fly Rods Question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Rods Question

andrew
02-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Question and Poll item - are brand name fly rods (and we know what they are) that cost several hundred dollars anymore effective or long-lasting than a more in-expensive rod, say under $150 from a catalog supplier without the marquee name.

flytyer
02-26-2003, 12:22 AM
For the angler who knows how to use them, the added performance of the top rods are a definite advantage. That said, however, it is only the angler who knows how to cast a long line consistently, how to control the long line when fishing, etc. who will benefit from the added performance of the top line rods. All others will do as well with a mid priced rod as the expensive ones.

I never buy a rod on the basis of the name, I buy them on the basis of will it do what I want it to do. I then make my purchase after I find the rod(s) that will do what I want it to do. Unfortunately, I have not found anything but the high end, top quality rods to satisfy the requirements I have for a rod for well over 25 years.

DEERHAAWK
02-26-2003, 12:45 AM
Good evening,
Different rod's have subtle changes in action. With that said, the fish do NOT care what you hold in your hand. It is not the fishing rod that catches the fish, but the fisherman, or woman who has the unique ability to "present" the bait in a way that atracts that fish. Forgive me for being redundant, but you could scotch-tape a piece of your mom's clothes line to a 2x4, and as long as your presentation is "on", you will catch fish.
Do I hear the sound of squirming?
Deerhawk

FishHawk
02-26-2003, 05:58 AM
I feel for the most part rods are overpriced. However, from the_manufactures point of view he has to charge enough to make a good profit. For saltwater, once you buy your 9 or 9wt rod that's all you need. So every year there is the latest and greatest rod you have to own. Some of the top manufactures discontinue great rods so that you'll buy the new one. That being said I look for a good rod that is backed up by great service. I also build my rods and save a little money. FishHawk:D

flyfisha1
02-26-2003, 07:38 AM
I have purchased complete rods as well as blanks under Cabela's name, as well as rods "by Bass Pro Shops" and blanks by Hook and Hackle, all of which were $170 or less. The blanks that I purchased were to build rods that priced out around $300 if bought complete. I have also purchased many "high-end" blanks from Loomis and St. Croix and have built rods that would otherwise have cost $400+ in the stores. Is there a difference in the cheaper rods? Oh yeah. The first glaring difference, in my experience, is that the action of the cheaper rods has been consistently slower than that of the "premium" rods, and I'm comparing blanks that have roughly the same modulus and are sold as being the same action (i.e. fast, moderate/fast, etc.). Take the cheap fast action rod or blank and compare it to the more expensive blank; it can't be done. It's like comparing a fast action blank with a moderate/fast action, there's that much difference. Now, it's true that anyone can pick up a new fly rod and, with time, learn to cast a considerable amount of line fairly accurately, so the matter of action becomes somewhat secondary to those not caring if they need to make some major adjustments to their casting styles to accomodate a slower rod. However, for those of us that are constantly facing windy conditions AND dont want to spend several days or weeks getting the hang of such a rod, the faster action, more expensive blank or rod is the way to go. Again, if you want a premium rod at a modest price, build the rod from scratch or get someone to do it for you. I can give you the name and contact info of a guy that has built a very nice 9-wt. for me using a Loomis IMX blank, and it cost around $180. This is with all aluminum and TiCH hardware.
And unless you're dead-drifting to blind, deaf, and otherwise senseless fish, I think you might want to leave the 2x4 in the shed.:hehe:

BobK
02-26-2003, 08:05 AM
For the guy who knows how to use 'em AND needs the advantages of distance, etc. there IS a difference. That said, however, with the methods I use and the streams I fish, and the abuse I subject the rods to in hard use, there is little advantage in using an expensive rod FOR ME!

I was taught to approach fish (or "fishy" spots) from below, and to carefully stalk as close as possible before making ONE GOOD CAST! Minimal line to mend, and that first cast will take a fish if he is feeding or aggressive.

I have seen guys make "flawless" casts from long distances, but drag or micro-drag screws up "that perfect presentation". Many of these guys are buddies of mine, yet they are the first to admit that I take more fish than they do.

Yes, I can cast "pretty" on a casting pond. But when fishing, I use unorthodox casts, to match the conditions.

I guess what I am saying is I think that technique, not brand name, catches more fish. That said, I do own a couple of "high end" rods - they don't see much use, though, as I tend to use my less expensive rods, as I know they may get beat up just getting in to some of the spots I fish.

BobK

Eddie
02-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Are the nice ones any more effective, durable, nicer to look at, warrentied, fun to cast? Of course. Are they worth it? Many people obviously think so.
I was in a shop while a guy was buying an Abel reel. Another "customer" puts in his two cents,"A Ross reel will do everything that that Abel will, and just as well." (thanks for the help Dude)
The owner of the store asks the helpful guy, "OK., say an Abel and a Ross cost the same. Which reel are you going to choose?"
"Well if you put it that way, the Abel."
I think you could say the same for the rods.

BigDave
02-26-2003, 10:15 AM
If you spend a lot of time on the water, eventually you are going to break a rod or 2 and a quality warranty pays for itself the first time you use it. I broke 2 rods over the last couple of years and couldn't be more pleased with the service of the "high-end" rod manufacturers. I take decent care with my equipment however...if you're the kind of person who throws their rod around you're probably wasting your money.