Sage RPLX question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sage RPLX question

02-25-2003, 03:59 PM
I've recently seen a new custom made RPLX for sale (full Sage and maker warranty) for just over $300 and was wondering if this was a good deal, espc. as the RPLX has been discontinued.
Having said that, the RPLXi is way out of my price range. The rod in question is a 9ft 10wt and will be used primarily for stripers (I live in hope).
I'm a relative newcomer to the sport and would sooner buy something decent to start with, rather than working my way (and spending more) through beginner models.
Any advice is welcome.

02-25-2003, 04:19 PM
If the warrenty is good, and the seller reputable, I think it is a good deal. I have a RPLX #10 and I think it is an excellent striper rod. It is a brutal club to be sure, and one of the few rods that begs to be overlined. Maybe not the rod for a begginer, but you won't be for long. Start with an 11 wt. intermediate line, and a 400-450 gr. shooting head/teeny.

02-25-2003, 04:20 PM
The RPLX was a very good rod. I have three of them. A 790-3, 990-3 & 1190-3. A lot of people complain the the RPLX-i is too wimpy in the tip section. The only concern about a custom rod is that Sage will only replace the bank. Will the rod maker rebuild the new blank for you? At what price?

Greg Pavlov
02-25-2003, 09:15 PM
My impression is that the RPL+ is closer to the
RPLXi than the RPLX.