Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage RPLX question

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Greg Pavlov 
#1 ·
I've recently seen a new custom made RPLX for sale (full Sage and maker warranty) for just over $300 and was wondering if this was a good deal, espc. as the RPLX has been discontinued.
Having said that, the RPLXi is way out of my price range. The rod in question is a 9ft 10wt and will be used primarily for stripers (I live in hope).
I'm a relative newcomer to the sport and would sooner buy something decent to start with, rather than working my way (and spending more) through beginner models.
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks.

#2 ·
If the warrenty is good, and the seller reputable, I think it is a good deal. I have a RPLX #10 and I think it is an excellent striper rod. It is a brutal club to be sure, and one of the few rods that begs to be overlined. Maybe not the rod for a begginer, but you won't be for long. Start with an 11 wt. intermediate line, and a 400-450 gr. shooting head/teeny.

#3 ·
RPLX

The RPLX was a very good rod. I have three of them. A 790-3, 990-3 & 1190-3. A lot of people complain the the RPLX-i is too wimpy in the tip section. The only concern about a custom rod is that Sage will only replace the bank. Will the rod maker rebuild the new blank for you? At what price?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.