GL Surf's Up Steelhead [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: GL Surf's Up Steelhead

dansteelieman
02-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Well, as you might already know I am a beachbum, and I live for flyfishing the surf for chrome cruisers in our GL region. Anyways, it won't be long till I am on the beach shooting flies to hungry, ice out browns, steelies and salmon. Well, I just wanted to share a series of patterns I made up for the GL region that I sell to a few shops and clients.

I have many pics, but here are a few. If you want the recipies, please let me know. Here is a sampler!

dansteelieman
02-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Here is the surf series patterns I use and sell to flyshops. Let me know if you want the directions or if you want me to bring them to the clave. Very realistic is the key in my patterns. Most imitate smelt, alewife, shad, and cisco.

:D

Fly plate #1 in order:

-Dan's Polar Alewiife
-Ultra Hair Clouser(perch)
-Ultra Hair Clouser(smelt)
-Surf Candy(alewife)

dansteelieman
02-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Fly plate #2

-Dan's GL Ultra Smelt
-Dan's Razzle Dazzle Alewife
-Dan's Sparkle Smelt
-Dan's Holo Alewife

:D :rolleyes:

dansteelieman
02-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Fly plate #3

-Dan's GL Smelt
-Dan's Flashback Smelt
-Dan's GL Alewife
-Dan's GL Puglisi Smelt(bendback)
-Dan's GL Puglisi Alewife(bendback

Can you tell I love this stuff yet?:rolleyes:

flyfisha1
02-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Thos are some big flies! I didn't realize that salmon and steelhead fishing involved flies on order with what we typically fish in the salt for stripers. What sizes are the flies you picture?:eyecrazy:

dansteelieman
02-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Usually they range in size from size #4 - 2/0 The largest one's are on 1/0 keel hooks that ride properly and don't snag up.

I bet some of those would be killer for saltwater!

flyfisha1
02-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Looking at them, these patterns are very similar, if not identical, to some of the ones we use for species such as stripers, bluefish, weakfish, barracuda, jacks, etc. I'm sure you'd be well stocked if you decided to venture out into the coastal waters to chase some of these fish. Great tying jobs!

dansteelieman
02-24-2003, 02:31 PM
I acutally did some research on our baitfish and acutally caught some of them, then went out and bought the best materials to imitate them.

Yeah, when I am fishing Deleware Bay this summer for stripers, I think I should be ok.

Danbo
02-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Which one is your fave? For clear conditions at a GL rivermouth?
Did you ever try some zonkers in large sizes too? Fish On,bro.

dansteelieman
02-24-2003, 05:32 PM
In ultraclear water at rivermouths I like Dan's Holographic smelt and alewife, they reflect alot of light and are very apparent.

Sometimes surfin calls for stealth. I usually fish clear intermediate lines with flouro leaders and very realistic patterns. When fishing pierheads and deeper channels, or for what I refer to as "searching" not "seeing" I will fish spey rods, 400grain sinking lines and heavier tackle and flies such as ultra hair clousers and weighted imitations.

It all depends....:D

sleepy weasel
03-03-2003, 11:09 AM
dansteelieman.
Nice patterns.

What materials are you using?
Looks like you have some angel hair in some of those.

Have you used any of the "success flies" stuff like polar fiber, flouro fiber, and kinki fiber?

pmflyfisher
03-03-2003, 11:14 AM
Yeah, spey rodding, sink tips, with streamers at river mouths and surf I'm with you guys. Can't wait to ice out to hit the small Cohos in southern Lake Michigan and perhaps a nice brownie, or steelhead.

PM Out

removed_by_request
03-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Feel the mouth of the Galien calling eh?

pmflyfisher
03-03-2003, 12:36 PM
I cannot comment on such things on the internet.

PM Out

BobK
03-03-2003, 01:48 PM
One place I love is where a power plant discharges in a stream close to Lake O. The bridge and outlet are full of guys trying to catch 'em on eggs when they run upstream. But if you have the gonads to wade and surf, it's neat! About a month ago, I suggested to a guy with a pontoon boat that he give it a try (good access - a large fishermen's parking lot, and you just cross a road and launch it). And it's not a long drive, either! Some places are just MADE for pontoon boats. But I don't ever see anyone using them. I do surf fish there frequently, but it is a tough casting distance as the slope is very gradual.

He did VERY well, and LOVED it! - On his first trip, he picked up 2 steelies, a brown, a coho, and a fresh (2 year old) chinook. All in half a day's fishing. Sometimes you even manage a laker. All you have to do is make sure you have a favorable and reasonably calm wind. And he commented on the convenience.

(I am now contemplating a pontoon boat for my birthday this summer! - Maybe sooner!):hehe:

BobK

removed_by_request
03-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
I cannot comment on such things on the internet.

PM Out

Well it's not really that great of a spot. Look at your Indiana map of the lakefront and you may be suprised.

It does mean a long walk, but well worth the effort.

pmflyfisher
03-03-2003, 02:59 PM
I know, I have others and know what you are talking about.

PM Out

dansteelieman
03-03-2003, 03:21 PM
I sue alot of materials....angel hair, strmear hair, enrico puglisi fibers, ultra hair, etc.

I tie for a few flyshops right now.

Usually I fish anywhere in the surf. Warmwater discharges, creek mouths, pierheads, channels, harbors, etc. It's what I live for...

Keep it coming....ice out isn't that far away!:D

removed_by_request
03-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
I know, I have others and know what you are talking about.

PM Out

Seem to recall you saying you bypassed Indy. to fish Mi., you are missing some good surf waters.

They are all weather dependant, wind blows wrong way and you get very very wet in no time.

pmflyfisher
03-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Yes I know about the wind factor, if its blowing hard the wrong way, there is no fly line in existence that will help you.

If you have to fish break out the spinning gear at those times in those lake front locations.

PM Out

removed_by_request
03-16-2003, 09:53 PM
So you travel with both eh???

pmflyfisher
03-16-2003, 09:58 PM
I did not explicitly say I did, but I do have it when I take my son with me as he is still spinning, throwing lures, etc... ;) ;)

PM Out

P.S. Its not a bad idea though to have when the wind is up though. Much easier to cast longer and get deeper quicker also.

LOL

removed_by_request
03-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Thought you frowned on spinning gear. I seem to recall some negative posting on it.

Best tool for the job when lake or pier fishing.

BobK
03-17-2003, 07:12 AM
I agree - best rods for SURFING, too -

In late April or May, "Let's go surfin" sounds good to me!

BobK

pmflyfisher
03-17-2003, 03:03 PM
Nothing like double hauling into Lake Michigan head wind with the long rod and fly.

I don't usually bring the spinning rods, only with my sons.

Don't want any one taking pictures of me though with one of those in my hand.

LOL

PM Out

removed_by_request
03-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Funny thing is, in all my years fishing rivermouths I have yet to see anyone using that method.

Everyone I see is flinging harware or bait. Don't think its too popular in our area of the pond.
I

dansteelieman
03-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Not too popular, but productive if you know what you are doing. You can find me with the long rod when fishing off pierheads and breaks, otherwise I am using 9'6" 8 or 9wt's and clear, intermediate lines for shy fish and along the beaches when chasing pods.

I'll be on the beaches soon.....cannot wait!

pmflyfisher
03-17-2003, 08:54 PM
MJYP,

If you see one in south lake michigan it is probably me, I did not see any other fly fisher out there in 2002. I feel like a pioneer.

PM Out

removed_by_request
03-17-2003, 10:43 PM
Never saw one in the south end of the lake, can't count casting from the N. Buffalo parking lot as surf fishing. Saw lots of guys with spinning gear doing it, no fly casters. Our end is not really that slick for true surf fishing, now the U.P. is another story.

Lots of user friendly rivermouths with no boats, piers, or man made objects.