Dandy graph of 9 yrs of Steelhead runs in the Rogue. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Dandy graph of 9 yrs of Steelhead runs in the Rogue.

fredaevans
02-23-2003, 06:33 PM
http://www.rogueflyfishers.org/FishRunAverageData.htm

Another graph from the Rogue flyfishers site; for those coming to the Charity Spey Clinic ..... I'll let you do the math.:D

Weather is grand at this time of year and the average fish count!.. but then, you were going to do the math.
fae

Jumbo
02-24-2003, 12:32 AM
FAE,

Nice graph, that and the fish counts are driving me bat ****.

just got laid off and a nice severance gives me the rest of the season to swing flies!! never fished the Rogue, can you point me to some resources for general winter steelheading info for the Rogue and surrounding streams? (preferably Spey friendly water, etc)

any info much appreciated

fredaevans
02-24-2003, 02:25 AM
Give me a call at the office tomorrow (541 734 2714 or 541 944 0404 cell) and if you've got a fax I'll send you detailed maps of the upper river. Water is running at about 2,000 cfs in the Medford area (900 cfs from the dam about 30 miles up stream). So with the 'doubling of water' all the 'feeder streams' are running clear.

You'll be using dry lines in the top section of the river (a few places will require tips/sinking leaders), and from Medford down stream most water will require the use of a tip/sinking leader. Repeating myself here, but given a choice I'll use a (8wt-9wt) rod and use my "dropper" lash-up with a sinking leader for far greater line/fly control.

You can also check the water flows/fish counts at 800 472 2434.
Fred

Jumbo
02-24-2003, 11:24 PM
FAE,

thanks for the info, had to fish today as conditions up here in the Seattle area were perfect. picked up a nice 11lb buck at 9am this morning!

I'll call you for some info, given my unemployed situation the mrs. has a honey-do list a mile long- but I'll get around to calling between fishin and chores.
:o

fredaevans
02-24-2003, 11:42 PM
"I'll call you for some info, given my unemployed situation the mrs. has a honey-do list a mile long- but I'll get around to calling between fishin and chores."

Either that, or you've got a new home to landscape, etc. I can "relate."
:D

fae

Jumbo
02-25-2003, 01:54 AM
Fred,
I've got a mortgage, a two year old and one on the way (due in august); but my wife understands the fishin' addiction. we plan to hit Southern Oregon in March, but might get pushed back to May in order to hit the Malheur NWR for some birding (very married!!). how's steelie fishin' then?

fredaevans
02-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Probably would find most of the fish 'spawed out' rather than 'fresh fish.' Best time for winter fishing is March-Mid April, after that it really tails out.

Another option is the lower river; by May has a lot of Spring Kings showing up. Far harder than the fall kings to get a take on a fly, but the run is 4 or 5 to 1 in size. You'd also find the 'half-pounder' run is probably in full swing in the lower/mid river up to Agness/Illinois River by that time of the year.

fae