Leader Question - [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Leader Question -

Dave Drennan
02-22-2003, 11:45 PM
Having had problems with two leader manufacturers, I'm now looking for alternitives. Anybody out there ever used Maxima "Perfexion" leader material? Your opinions? Thanks.

Hawkeye
02-24-2003, 04:01 PM
I've used it with no problems but I prefer Dai Riki (sp?)

SDHflyfisher
02-26-2003, 06:13 PM
i use orvis and it does the job very well to

fredaevans
02-26-2003, 11:06 PM
We just stick to Maxima mainline for our leader material. Much/most of 'real' tippet material is too soft/limber to really lay out larger/heavier flys. Max. m-l works just fine and it's not $4-$5 bucks a pop for a tiny bit. Sexy no, effective ... yes.
fae

artb
02-27-2003, 06:12 AM
:) Like Fred I use Maxima for leader material, I bought severasl 280 yd spools years ago, keep it in a dark cabinet out of the sun. It has got to be 10 years old. A very good old timer who taught me flytying, and flyfishing 60 years ago put me on to this type of leader. I like their .003" 1 lb test, or their .005" 2 lb test material. On the spool it says " the line fish can't see.:D Sometimes though I use nylon thread for a tippet.:smokin:

Hawkeye
02-27-2003, 08:31 AM
Oops, sorry, my brain was not working and I was thinking tippet not leader when I mentioned Dai Riki.

John Desjardins
02-27-2003, 08:52 AM
I haven't tried the Perfexion material yet, but I haven't had a problem with Maxima's other materials that is attributable to the leader materials. One thing I have found is very important, regardless of manufacturer, is to get rid of your tippet stock if the spool sits in a 90+ degree trunk for a day. Heat does a job on the strength of the tippets.

Originally posted by Hawkeye
Oops, sorry, my brain was not working and I was thinking tippet not leader when I mentioned Dai Riki.

Actually Dai Riki is my long time favorite for premade leaders, a close second is the Maxima leader with chameleon butt & UG tippet. Can't find either of them locally so I end up tying my own version of the Maxima.

Dave Drennan
02-27-2003, 11:15 AM
... is pretty much what I have switched to for all my leaders. The Maxima "Perfexion" material is supposed to be their limpest material. I'll have to put an Ultragreen/Perfexion leader together and see how it holds up. Thanks for your responses guys.

Dave Drennan
02-27-2003, 11:19 AM
... have you tried getting the Maxima factory tapered leaders from Hunters Angling Suppies?

John Desjardins
02-27-2003, 12:51 PM
I'm spoiled by having Blue Northern on my drive home and don't make the jaunt north to Hunters more than once a year.