beard trimmers on the tyin' bench [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: beard trimmers on the tyin' bench

fishheadfred
02-21-2003, 10:51 PM
hello my fellow fishheads,

i have discovered a new use for my seldom used beard trimmers.....they are perfect for trimming hackle, fur, and hair at the tying bench. at 30 years old, i have broken every bon in my body at least twice except for my nose. i had a mild stroke last september related to an accident and coupled with moderate arthritis in the hands from years of stupidity ( the hand was never meant to be a hammer) it is sometimes cumbersome to manipulate a pair of scissors precisely. so, i had a brainstorm...the trimmers.

the larger handle of the trimmers makes it easy to handle and with a patient approach, you can shape hair into layers as with sculpted wings; trim hackle fibers for hopper legs. strip herl from the quill with damaging the quill itself; and notch hacles for that V shape that i like so well on caddis flies.

i use a cheap battery operated model made by can air (Wal-Mart $ 9.00). i passsed this tip on to a fellow tier who had a debilitaing hand injury in the mines. he loved it and tells me that he has become quite profeccient with the "shears". if you know a friend or a friend of a friend who may find fine detail work with the scissors a physical challege for what ever reason, please pass this along...

"the creek whispers my name, as the fragrance of old Kentucky drifts from the distilleries and warehouses along Rolling Fork. Southern smallies and Wild Turkey...the reason everyone wants to be hillbilly."

willmullis
02-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the tip fishhead. I'm sure that will come in handy to alot of people.

Hey where at in central Kentucky you located???

fishheadfred
02-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Boyle county area....just south of Lexington..you familiar?

willmullis
02-24-2003, 09:25 PM
I know where Lexington is, about 1 1/2 hours from me.

fishheadfred
02-25-2003, 11:55 PM
familiar with southern ohio...where u at?