Tragic day for me [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tragic day for me

striblue
02-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Out sick for a couple days and I get into work this morning and my young associate is not in..I find out he was scheduled for a half day so I blow it off,, About 2 another young lawyer comes in and tells me that Jeff was at the Warwick night club last night....and no one has heard from him...his parents and relatives are scattered around the country... I call the disaster center... well ..he is unaccounted for...but his car had just been towed to the police station...later I find out the family has been requested to obtain his dental records. The video of the fire had identified him up in front of the Stupid band... Ossie Osborn is not that funny...A great kid , polished ,mature, bright and a real pro for his age... I would always tell him as my father did to me... "don't do as I do just do as I say".. He was going places.....

Dble Haul
02-21-2003, 07:01 PM
The whole episode is a tragedy, but it it's even more so when somebody you know is involved.

I'm sorry John. I wish there was some way to help ease your pain.

Take care.

artb
02-21-2003, 08:11 PM
John, I saw the story unfold, a very tragic event. I grieve for the people, and the families involved. A disaster that should never had happened.

Nick
02-21-2003, 09:04 PM
John,
So sorry to hear about this. This whole thing has been an unbelievable tragedy. Especially being young and attending these sorts of things. Counting my blessings and sending my thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of this man as well as the others.

Nick:(

fredaevans
02-21-2003, 09:20 PM
I knew several people, via business, that were in the World Trade Center, and it still isn't easy thinking about how ..
fae

JimW
02-21-2003, 09:37 PM
John, It's a very sad day from many families. It was a horrific tragedy. I hope some good can come from such a huge loss. Perhaps a stricter enforcement of fire codes, but that doesn't help the survivors much.
When I first heard the news I thought immediately of my oldest daughter who goes to school in the are. It sure was good to hear her voice.
Truely frightening.

Eddie
02-21-2003, 09:39 PM
I'm sorry John. Just awful.

striblue
02-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Thanks Guys... I can almost see him walk in on Monday Morning and tell me he shacked up....but I really know that will not happen.

Adrian
02-21-2003, 10:15 PM
John, my deepest sympathy. Words always seem so innadequate at times like these.

fishheadfred
02-21-2003, 11:01 PM
john,

sorry for your loss...when i lost my fishing buddy and couple of years ago, his wife told me, "He's not gone, he's just gone on ahead to make sure the water is right. He's just around the next bend...he'll wait for you" We don't loss people in our lives, they just move on to another place we God needs them more than we do.

RayStachelek
02-22-2003, 12:57 AM
If you live in Rhody.... This will touch you somehow with friends or relatives. It's such a small state for it not to happen.

After watching just three interviews of concert goes who attended, I recognize one former student. He had been looking for a friend of his for some twelve hours. He found his friend at Rhode Island Hospital Trama Center. You would have thought it would be one of the happy ending in all this tragedy. Then he says, "His three month pregnant girl friend was in there too.

This is just one example. And the state hasn't released any other names yet.

Moron_Saxatilis
02-22-2003, 02:26 AM
I live and grew up in West Warwick. In fact I grew up a few streets behind this club. I used to frequent it quite often until a year or so ago when I settled down a bit. I am very afraid of who I might find on that list. My girlfriend works in a local dentist office and heard quite a few heart breaking tales yesterday.

Roop
02-22-2003, 05:52 AM
John,

There's nothing I can say other than I am sorry for the loss of your firend, his family's loss and all the other families.

Our thoughts are with you and all of them.

Roop

FredA
02-22-2003, 06:01 AM
That's pretty sad John. The whole story is unbelievable.

striblue
02-22-2003, 06:03 AM
Timing can be everything... when this came up I spoke with the company president and I recalled a story to him about how my father who was originally class of 44 from BC...but actually 48 because of service..had decided not to go to the Coconut Grove because a previously undefeated BC football team had lost to Holy Cross. So most of the students and the whole team did not go.... Instead The Holy Cross football team went... then he interupts and tells me his Father and Uncle played on that Holy Cross team and WENT to the Coconut Grove..... But they left early..........that saved their lives. There is no answer and there are to many ""What If's".

FlyFishAR
02-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Dear God John, I am so sorry.......

My prayers will be with the both of you.

John

FrenchCreek
02-22-2003, 02:18 PM
John:
Words, we use them all the time to comunicate meaning. I just can't seem to find any that can make any meaning come from the loss of so many fine young lives. Among them one close to you, as a mentor, coach and colleaugue, your loss is as great as that of a parent. Stay the course & God speed. Many more need your encouragement, some you have yet to meet.

craig
02-22-2003, 09:02 PM
My heart and prayers goes out to you and everyone that has been touched by this situation.

John Desjardins
02-22-2003, 09:31 PM
John, I'm sorry to hear of your pain at the loss of a friend. Hopefully something good will come out of this tragedy.

Slinger
02-22-2003, 11:41 PM
My son in law is a former EMT and now works in the operating room at RI Hospital.He was at work when this tradgedy took place and spent the next 24 hours there. His description of what he saw and was told by EMT`s he knows is truly horrific. The news is calling this the fourth worst fire in American history. In a state this size almost everyone was touched in a personal way by this disaster.
Slinger

neac9
02-23-2003, 02:18 AM
John,
as time unfolds many of us will find this tragedy has touched us in one way or another. I feel for your loss and for those who are awaiting the inevitable news of their loved ones. My heart goes out to families, friends, and first response teams who's lives will forever be changed by the events of that sad night

striblue
02-23-2003, 12:10 PM
I really appreciate all this support from a great group of guys.... I spoke with his step Mother this morning and there is difficulty in tracking down his dental records although certain substances have been submitted for DNA testing... we are planning a memorial service at Hancock by the end of the week... although positive ID has not yet been confirmed... I think it is pretty clear he is not among the survivors.

Jimmy
02-23-2003, 01:19 PM
My Dear Friend,

Any words I say can in no way console you in this time of grief. Please know, that as you have been here for me in the past, I will be here for you now. What can I do to help?

Broadbill
02-23-2003, 01:39 PM
John –

I find it hard enough to find words of consolation for my friends whose parents in the “greatest generation” are dying in the grace of a long life. But the loss of young people with so much life ahead, like your promising colleague, is just beyond expression. You—and his family—have my condolences and best wishes.

Jay

TinMan
02-23-2003, 08:02 PM
My sympathies John and from all of us.

Michael

juro
02-24-2003, 12:15 AM
John -

I was absolutely horrified when I saw the film footage... my deepest sympathies buddy.

Juro

FishHawk
02-24-2003, 04:58 AM
Sorry for your loss. FishHawk

Lefty
02-24-2003, 08:28 AM
John,

Ditto all that's been said. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Terry

DFix
02-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Words can not express my condolences and deepest sympathies.

bcasey
02-24-2003, 10:48 AM
John,
It's tough to find the words or understand why these things happen. When someone close leaves us in the way your friend has gone, I like to think that, as was said before, God has more important things for this one to do! Just know that our thoughts and prayers are with you, his friends and relatives, and most of all, with him. GOD BLESS!

pmflyfisher
02-24-2003, 11:28 AM
John,

I was thinking that some one on the board may know one of the victims. I know how you feel having lost a good business colleague in the WTC event.

My deepest condolences and prayers.

Hal

Chris
02-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Brenda, Ian and I send our condolences both to you and your collegues and to the loved ones of all those touched by this needless horror. If the finger pointing ever ends I hope the states regulators will do their enforcement jobs to help prevent more of these.

Regards

ashley
02-24-2003, 04:45 PM
John,
Having seen what happened on the news my thoughts and sympathies go out to you and his family.
Ashley

MarkDoogue
02-24-2003, 07:04 PM
John, I'm really sorry for you, his family and friends.

It hits home because I'm in clubs like that all the time for work. In fact, the night after the fire I was out, for work, at a very crowded rock show in a similar style venue.

We had a limo waiting at the back exit for us and you'll never guess what we found as we pushed through the doors that read "Staff Only." It was a small room full of roughly 20 stacked tables(they had cleared them out of the room to pack in spectators) with the doors to the outside on the opposite wall. The four of us had to carefully wind our way through the maze of haphazardly piled furniture. If there was an emergency those tables would have fallen in front of the doors as people panicked, preventing anyone from escaping!

I was horrified by the lack of safety concern. No one else in that whole place had any idea how much danger they could have been in, except the people that stacked those tables.

I can only hope things change.

ssully
02-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Sorry John.

May God be with him, his friends and family.

bcasey
02-26-2003, 07:40 AM
650 views so far, This is a very considerate and thoughtful bunch we have here! I'm PROUD to be part of us!:cool:

striblue
02-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Yes, I agree, and I really do appreciate the comments... his name is Jeff Martin and he was not in todays paper as he was only ID'ed late last night.

bcasey
03-02-2003, 11:43 AM
Nice comments by you in the globe today John ! :)

striblue
03-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks Brian...quite a Kid, as they all were.... there was a memorial service for him yesterday and I had a difficult and emotional converstion with his friend who survived by being near the door...

Dutch
03-03-2003, 06:21 AM
My deepest sympathies and condolances from the Netherlands, to the ones left behind.
Being in Europe this seems so far away, but at times like this, well, the world just is a bit smaller.
Sorry, it's only words, but it's all I can do.
Hans.

striblue
03-03-2003, 09:25 AM
Thank You Dutch... and welcome to the forum...

bcasey
03-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Hey Dutch, with a post #1 like that you will fit in real nice around here. Welcome to the forum!:)