First outing, when and where? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First outing, when and where?

broche
02-20-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm getting anxious to get out there, although we have several weeks to go yet. Just curious to know where most of you will be fishing during the early season. I am planning on taking a few days off in mid-May. Depending on wind and weather, I envision myself on Joppa Flats in Newburyport fishing a Juve pattern on an outgoing tide. If I'm feeling ambitious, I might head down to the Cape in early May, although I'm not familiar with the area. What are your early season battle-plans?

doug
02-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Probably same place....Joppa.
Or maybe a little upriver of there....depends on time of day and the tides, of course.
Doug B.

Quentin
02-20-2003, 10:49 AM
I try to get started during late March if the weather permits. I usually head down to Connecticut and fish the lower Housatonic and Connecticut Rivers if I get out that early in the season. Wow, only a month to go!

Q

Dble Haul
02-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Ditto on Q's locations. I might check out Old Saybrook in particular.....I wonder if that spot is as hot in the spring as it is in October/November.

Nick
02-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Rhody Icebreaker is where I've begun the last two years...if Ray, Slinger, Artb, etc invite us down again I'll be there this year as well.

Nick

jfbasser
02-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Had a great day yesterday! Forty degrees and no wind.

Adrian
02-20-2003, 04:55 PM
CT for me like Mark and Q but thisyear may see my first cast in Joizey - will be looking at tides imminently ;)

Doc Duprey
02-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Well, it's Joisey for me...in March with any luck. The bays warm early and were productive last year. Planning on the Second Joisey Mini-Clave if anyone wants to join. Stay tuned!

Adrian, give me a shout...found a very interesting area near where we fished last fall. Bring flatwings.

Best regards,

-Doc:D

Adrian
02-20-2003, 10:26 PM
Will do Doc - in fact you can count on it!

I intend to wet a line in March and to hell with the weather, water temperature, fish migration status, phase of the moon, price of gas, the economy ..... or any other excuse for not just getting out there and just doing it!

Paxton
02-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Last year I did well at Chatham Light House (tub area and point), beginning the 2nd week of May. Tailing blue fish were a real treat!
Bring fleece and a wind jacket!!!!! Just wish that it wasn't a 2 1/2 hr drive but as my positive thinking wife says..."you could be living in Ohio"