Pete gets a 240 lb'er! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pete gets a 240 lb'er!

juro
08-06-2001, 12:28 PM
After the 44" monster, Pete topped it this morning with a 240 plus behemoth from the drink!

An angler visting the cape from the midwest fell into the rip currents off Chatham where Pete Gray was fishing in the pea soup fog. Not only is Pete a Desert Storm vet, he is also a life-saver. He searched thru the fog and spotted the bobbing head of a tiring angler by the weakening cries for help. Acting quickly, he jumped into the kayak and paddled out to help the man. Unable to determine direction of shore, they navigated by compass to the first ocean facing sandbar where Pete alerted the authorities by cell phone. Eventually, they made their way to safety by following the flashing rescue lights thru the fog.

The angler did not have a PFD, compass or whistle with him - apparently they were back in the truck. Pete's compass and quick action really saved this man's life.

KUDOS to our esteemed CAC and Forum member, and I think we can all learn a lesson from this.

GREAT WORK PETE! You da' man!

Nick
08-06-2001, 12:57 PM
That guys lucky to have a guy like Pete around!

jborkowski
08-06-2001, 01:05 PM
I'm assuming this is not a joke.

Wow. Great work Pete!!

Yet again, living proof of the quality of the Forum's members.

MarkDoogue
08-06-2001, 01:44 PM
The man goes from eating a dead eel to saving a man. Life would be dull without you around but what do you do for the encore Pete? You are the reel deal.... J.D.

Bob Pink
08-06-2001, 03:58 PM
Guardian Angels come in all shapes and sizes, nice work Pete! How to keep a cool head when the ***t hits the fan!

Roop
08-06-2001, 04:05 PM
Expect nothing but this type of unselfish act from a person like Pete.

Nice job.

Roop

FishHawk
08-06-2001, 04:30 PM
Great job Pete glad there are guys like you around.
FishHawk

Tod D
08-06-2001, 04:38 PM
Holy cow! Thank God Pete was there! Ocean rips are no joke. Fortunately, our midwestern angler didn't become another statistic.

Nice job Pete.

MarkDoogue
08-06-2001, 05:08 PM
Pete, you can't put a price on people like you, or the actions that you take for the good of your fellow man. You deserve more praise than all of the Forum members can possibly muster.

Come Thanksgiving and X-Mas time you should kick back, raise a glass, and toast to the family who's holiday season you salvaged by thinking on your feet and having the common sense to prepare for the worst case scenario.

striblue
08-06-2001, 05:43 PM
Pete... unbelievable... and to think I just decided on a SOS jacket just this week... what a fortunate thing to have you there... cool under that kind of pressure. I am glad I have a friend like you. You need to tell me more about how this all transpired.

FredA
08-06-2001, 07:15 PM
Great job Pete. Your response to the situation certainly doesn't surprise.

Fred A.

RayStachelek
08-06-2001, 07:34 PM
Pat on the back! oar should I say paddle on the back. Heads up thinking. Saved a near tragedy.

Three weeks ago out in Billingsgate Shoals during the lightning and thunderstorms, we had seen a flare fired in the air. Investigated the situation. Husband and wife with three small children. Towed them to Suituet Harbor. Vessel wasn't in any apparent danger except for the lightning. When you seen these three little cold, and scared children, no one could leave them out there.

Once again great job! Has nothing to do with where you hang out. There are good people everywhere.

artb
08-06-2001, 09:17 PM
Glad to hear that Pete's quick action saved the man, good going Pete. I was down to the RI south shore today also very foggy.

Jimmy
08-07-2001, 12:25 PM
Great Job!