Midge Fly swap update [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Midge Fly swap update

John Desjardins
02-18-2003, 10:23 PM
I got the first flies in today and they look great. FrenchCreek (Pete Laviolette) and Art Burtons flies arrived today.

SDHflyfisher
02-19-2003, 04:41 PM
i'm gonna send mine out tomorrow hopefully

pmflyfisher
02-19-2003, 04:58 PM
One could thing, the postage will be mimimal on this swap, just hope the midges don't slip through the cracks.

I have a confession, I don't tie midges, I just buy what I need from the fly shop.

Otherwise I would have participated.

My fly shop owner told me last month a fly fisherman (teenager) from PA ordered # 32 midge hooks from him.

Anybody ever use a hook that small ?

I think the smallest I ever use was a 24 or 26.

PM Out

Quentin
02-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
. . . My fly shop owner told me last month a fly fisherman (teenager) from PA ordered # 32 midge hooks from him. . . .

Size 32 ??? :eyecrazy:

Maybe he uses them to get the guppies out of his fish tank! :hehe:

I can't even imagine tying something on a hook that small. My finest thread is probably thicker than the hook shank! Don't get me wrong -- I'm not knocking the teeny flies since I'm sure they catch fish. I just have a hard enough time tying something on a #16 hook!

Q

John Desjardins
02-20-2003, 09:44 AM
Hal, I've always been like you with flys smaller than #16 or 18. Thats why I hesitated and ultimately decided to meister theis swap. Its succeded in getting me past that psychological hurdle and into # 26 flys. Now I need to get some flys tied so they look good with the proper proportions.

#32 hooks, H'mm that could hook my sons beta fish. :devil:

pmflyfisher
02-20-2003, 10:23 AM
I will ask my fly shop owner to show me some, maybe today, thursday is the day I usually stop there for some under the wifes radar miscellenous fly tying material purchases, etc.....

Better bring my reading glasses, I may be able to see them with those, maybe....

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
02-20-2003, 04:38 PM
i didn't know hooks came in a size 32

pmflyfisher
02-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Either did I, but I can ensure you I could not tie the leader on it nor see it on the water, so why bother.

Anyway, they will probably take a gray nymph.

Why make trout fly fishing really difficult ?

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
02-20-2003, 05:50 PM
the smallest flies i have ever seen are #24 and i don't come across stuations where i need a flie that small

artb
02-20-2003, 09:37 PM
:D Maybe my flies don't look the best, but they have caught fish under some unusual conditions. Some places like the Y pool back eddy on Swift River in Mass. I have caught and released some of the 2 and 3 lb fish that cruise around sipping up midges. Also I sometimes trim the hackle down, and sometimes I don't. I tie down to size #28, but I don't usually make wings. Wings on larger flies are OK, as they are easier to see. I don't think trout have any trouble seeing the fly unless the water is dirty. I have taken more big fish on midges than streamers.:)

SDHflyfisher
02-22-2003, 09:25 PM
i've been lazy i'll send mine out monday

John Desjardins
02-22-2003, 10:36 PM
To keep everyone down, the countdown to closing swap = 13 days. Does anyone need the shipping address?

Art, who are you trying to kid. :tsk_tsk: The flys look great and I'll bet on the fish liking them. There is a lot to be said for simple flies.

SDHflyfisher
02-26-2003, 07:12 PM
ok it's wednesday and i finally sent mine out they should be there in a week or so

John Desjardins
02-28-2003, 08:50 AM
One week to go and I still need to tie mine. Last night Brads arrived, and they look great.

moosestang
02-28-2003, 01:02 PM
I'll be sending mine tomorrow 3-1

JimW
03-01-2003, 10:55 AM
I put mine in the mail yesterday (Fri.) #18 grifiths gnats. I tried tying some #24 winged midges but I'm still working on the super small stuff.

John Desjardins
03-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Latest update; Saturday I received flys from Sean and Jim. They look great. I finished mine yesterday. If Moosestang got his in the mail on Saturday we are only waiting on Mr. Fix.

SDHflyfisher
03-03-2003, 05:09 PM
good to hear mine got there safe and sound

John Desjardins
03-06-2003, 09:25 AM
I received Moosestangs flys last night they look great. One more set and we are there.

Oh pictures are taken, and I'll start posting tonight.

John Desjardins
03-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Dave Fix e-mailed that his are in the mail. so everyones flys are at least on the way in. I'm starting to post the pics and will work my way through them all this weekend.

Thanks everyone. All the flys look great.

Edit- All the flys are posted in the trout fly archives. The flys will be shipped on Monday or Tuesday.

John Desjardins
03-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Dave Fix's flys were in the mail today, so barring some unexpected problem tomorrow I'll have the flys mailed out Monday. Pictures of his, and a group shot will follow on Monday as well.

John Desjardins
03-11-2003, 09:47 AM
I didn't get the flys out yesterday, but they are boxed and will go out at lunch time today. The group shot will be delayed till tonight.

John Desjardins
03-11-2003, 04:08 PM
All the flys are mailed, and pictures are posted. Thanks guys .

FrenchCreek
03-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Well done John, thank's from all who shared in the forum.

SDHflyfisher
03-11-2003, 04:55 PM
can't wait to get the flies they look great:D

artb
03-12-2003, 09:25 PM
:) John, I received the flies today, :smokin: Everyone's flies look great, they are sure to sucker some large trout. John, I want to personally thank you for your getting our acts together, and have it go off flawlessly. :cool: Thanks John

SDHflyfisher
03-14-2003, 04:38 PM
got mine today they look great

JimW
03-15-2003, 09:19 AM
I got mine the other day they look fantastic, at least when I look at them under a microscope :hehe: You guys are fantastic tyers. I will fish them for sure but after attempting to duplicate them at the bench.

John, thanks again for putting this together and for the excellent photography of the entries.

extmtbiker
03-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Whats all this fly swapping about. Are you guys going to a convention or meeting, or sending them through mail???? Geese size #32, that is so small, I would have a heak of a time tying that fly.

John Desjardins
03-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Geoff, A swap works like this. Someone (called a meister here) proposes swapping flys of a certain type. They could be trout, pike, saltwater, etc flys. Those that are interested in swapping sign up and tie a mutually agreed number of flys then send their flys to the meister. The meister receives the flys and divides them up among the participants then mails them back to everyone who participates. Its a fun way to see a variety of flys that you ordinarily wouldn't see. Most swaps occurr over the winter.

And I agree with you that a #32 hook is small.

FrenchCreek
03-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Just opened my box of midges.
Great work from all & thank's. Will be trying them real soon