Siliskin sandeel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Siliskin sandeel

ssully
02-18-2003, 08:50 PM
http://home.attbi.com/~ssully/stuff/sandeel.JPG

juro
02-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Sully, I'd say something but many of my striper patterns have exactly the same amount of natural materials in them! :D Glass houses, etc...

One things for sure, that'll work!

One question: How flexible is the front portion as opposed to softex? I know it's softer than epoxy.

Hey how about putting one of those sweet looking jungle cock eyes you got in last year's order under the siliskin :devil:

ssully
02-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Juro,

The saying goes if you build a better mousetrap, jig, sluggo er... um ... fly they will come. The fish I hope. :D

This is a modified version of what I was trying to accomplish last year. I was tying a lot of bonefish flies with the sili-legs material and thought about incorporating that into a sandeel pattern. It was Jared I believe who pointed out a major design fouling problem and he was right.

I was messing around with a modified version of the Vineyard Floater sandeel pattern but it just didn't give me what I wanted in a sub-surface fly. Meaning the Corsair tubing was just too stiff for the action I wanted. I firmly believe that either the action or the feel during the bite of soft plastics give them their advantage.

Taking a few steps back the reasoning of my madness is that I wanted to have a fly that I have ultimate confidence in. Something that will work hopefully as well as rigged plastics on a spinning rod. Thereby keeping the long wand in my hand. I can't say that I will be flyfisherman only but I enjoy it and that's what it's all about.

Anywho, I saw this material that Rich Murphy used to tie a sweet looking fly with and figured it would be the missing piece of the puzzle which I think it may be.

To answer your questions. I 've never used softex but the sili-skin is as soft and flexible as soft plastics. The material is a translucent pearl that lets colors show through. The image really doesn't do justice to the colors on the fly.

I didn't try it yet but I'll bet that a jungle cock eye's colors will shine right through the stuff. But I'm mostly saving that to tie some streamers for landlocks and hopefully some classic atlantic patterns.

I'll bet that this pattern with a few modifications would make an absolute killer squid fly.

Lastly it may not be obvious in the image but this pattern has a tungsten conehead, olive sili-legs over white sili-legs and sili-skin. Add eyes and your hook (Varivas 2/0) of choice and thats it.

juro
02-18-2003, 11:40 PM
I saw the stuff on the card and didn't really get a feel for how pliable it was looking at it at the time. Thanks for the reply - it sounds like it is much more flexible than softex.

I asked Rich for a "special order" color at Newport, maybe someday...

Lefty
02-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Sully,
Sharing? I better field test a few of those for ya out on the sandbar in about 8 weeks. :D I like em.
Question: Do they sink?

Lefty;)

ssully
02-20-2003, 07:49 PM
No they don't stink!

Ohhhh ya they sink. :D

Bob Pink
02-20-2003, 09:44 PM
sean,
Was observing Rich working his magic with the skin last night at the den show. The surface of the skin is VERY receptive to simple adhesives to the point where he applies a 3-D eye directly to the surface without any additional glue ( like goop ). I'd love the counterpoint of having a nice jungle cock eye inside the 'tube' formed by the skin but you might find it simpler to test a small epoxy eye applied to a clean section of the skin....
I've been tying his shrimp pattern using the skin and they are by far the best durn looking shrimp I've ever turned out.

duh! I just scrolled back to your pic. You already used the 3-D eyes. Pray tell, how strong did they bond?

Adrian
02-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Nice pattern Sean!

I picked some up at Newport and have been playing - or should I say Floundering around :D

http://www.avsharp.com/flounder.jpg

FishHawk
02-21-2003, 05:11 AM
Nice job Adrian. I could not resist bought two packs at the Newport show. Tried a small piece and found that its a little tricky to work with. Has great potential. Will try it on some bunker patterns and sandeels. fishHawk:smokin:

striblue
02-21-2003, 10:14 AM
For some reason I can not see Sully's picture... I wonder if it looks anything like the one I did which is somewhere on this site. I have done baitfish and shrimp with it..but feel that it takes too much of the material to do the sand eel and will keep my limited source for shimp backs and very small bait fish. Not sure if it will give you greater advantage as a sand eel than the luck we have had with the deep eel anyway.

doogue
02-22-2003, 08:41 AM
John,

Ssully's eel looked great - real fishy.

I can no longer see the picture of the fly either.

Broken link?

-Mike

ssully
02-22-2003, 09:47 PM
Bob,

The eyes stuck on like darts.

John,

I like to do a side by side comaprison fishing with you sometime. Deep eel .vs. sili-skin and document the results. You'll have to allow some slack for my casting limitations though. :chuckle:

Lefty will be my early season guinea pig as he already volunteered. :)

Adrain,

Very nice flounder!

And yes it's a broken link on the image. A problem with my homepage space.

Eddie
02-23-2003, 12:29 PM
A better way to test, would be to fish 'em both dropper style. Let the fish decide.

Lefty
02-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Sully,

Will you post the blown up version of your avatar with the story? Looks like a wave is kicking your arse!!!:eyecrazy:

Lefty

Nick
02-24-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm curious as well....that pic in your avatar looks strikingly similar to work done by one of my Art teachers in Middle school.

Nick

ssully
02-24-2003, 11:54 AM
It's an image of a painting I lifted...it reminds me of a real life experience of a wave kicking my arse on a snotty day. Kinda like that day we were at the point. Not your average blue bird day avatar. :devil:

The board won't let me attach it, "a whopping 214 kb" so I'll have to email it to you. My FTP account is temporarily hosed.

Nick
02-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Ssully...
http://members.aol.com/LKHALL2/picts/P6.jpg

If thats the one, its done my my Middle school Art teacher and hometown neighbor. Great guy, does some awesome stuff. Avid fly fisher in the CT/RI area.LK Hall (http://members.aol.com/LKHALL2/) is the artist.

I even attempted a few paintings in that class of flats fishing...

Nick

ssully
02-24-2003, 10:00 PM
Nick,

Awesome dude thanks for the reply. I thought that's what the signature was but wasn't sure. The man paints some very nice stuff! I'm gonna have to buy one of his paintings someday. Thanks again for finding that for me.

Nick
02-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Ssully,
No problem, I've always wanted some of his work, but my pockets are not deep enough! I have to settle for a "second" he gave me while I was in school with him. In my eyes, its by no means a second. My mother found it in the attic and got it framed a couple years ago.

Nick

striblue
02-26-2003, 09:39 AM
Sean and nick...did not know much about him but I love his stuff, thanks for the link.... check this one out..new one and really spectacular.

Lefty
02-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by striblue
Scheck this one out..new one and really spectacular.

Hey is that Mike Z. sitting down?

Slinger
02-27-2003, 12:08 AM
Naw, it`s not a red hat!
Slinger

doogue
02-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Love the artwork. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

While at an auction in Beverly last Fall I put a proxy bid in on a similar themed painting that was painted by the North Shore's own Don Stone. He is an extremely talented artist that captures sea life in many of his paintings.

Anyway, this painting that I saw depicted a small collection of fishermen as they stood on a sandbar - scanning the water with eagle eyes. They sun was rising and the sky was overcast. The painting was awesome. I put in a proxy bid of $300 and was shocked to hear that the painting went for over $2000. Some guy bought all of the Don Stone paintings at the auction. See, he knew that Don Stone paintings were worth more than $2000 (the original oils) and I did not.

It was a sweet painting and I missed out on it. As a result I am always looking for prints (more my price range) of classic fishing art. Thanks for the link.

FYI - the proxy bidder was my wife and I was catching stripers at West Beach when the painting went up for auction. I am glad that I was fishing instead of bidding an item up beyond my price range.

Yours truly,

Mike the "Thread Creeper" Doogue

flyaweigh
03-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Adrian

Great job on the flounder fly, I like the idea of it being flexable so a fish will hold on to it longer and will not intefere with the hook set.

Adrian
03-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks Stan!

It was a prototype actually. Having seen John (Striblue)'s excellent article on the construction of his flounder patterns I have a better idea on how to form the body. The Silli-Skin I currently have is from Rich Murphy at Umpqua. Apparently there is a thinner material which Saltwater Edge has. I'm thinking that might be a bit better for the smaller patterns.

So many ideas to try out - so little time left before we actually get to GO FISHING !!!!!!!