Striper Mount [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Striper Mount

02-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Never put this up so since I am think of things to do this morning I though I would show this striper mount I had done about 3 years ago... Wally Brown out of Falmouth did is not a skin mount and Brown did the actual painting...he was 90 years old when he did this and is known everywhere as a striper guy... His work is displayed at many locations.... It was caught on a 9 wt. off the long sand bar at the Point at the light house in Chatham at 5AM one morning in July.... 29 1/2 pounds and 45 inches long... a skinny fish for 45... my second and last mount for those who don't agree with this... but I wanted one and don't plan on any other mount again... It wa caught on a Harry Koomn's Rat's Ass which was the only fly I had used that season...I had caught a Blues fish of comparable length and will end up getting a glass mount of that just by submitting the measurements. it was the largest Blue I had ever caugh or will ever ,so I will put it in CAC. As you all know I practice C % R.

02-17-2003, 02:02 PM
Don`t apologize for doing somthing that is entirely legal and ethical! Everyone has the right to make thier own decision on whether or not to keep fish. Such a trophy deserves a place of honor and should be shown off. As long as it`s legally taken other people should mind thier own bussiness. I myself kept only one Bass last season, but that was my decision and not dependant on others opinions. John, thats a beautiful mount and I hope it provides years of fond memories.

Doc Duprey
02-17-2003, 02:05 PM

Beautiful! What is amazing is the way the subtle colors on the sides of the fish have been captured. The purple and metallic green that I see are so often lost in mounts of lesser quality. That is the work of a real expert.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best regards,

02-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Real nice mount. I have a few largemouth and a smallmouth mounted myself.

02-18-2003, 01:51 AM
I'm sure in your day you have released more then your share of these noble fish. Also, you have been an advocate for their cause.
so you chose to mount 1 well so will I one day if I brake the 45 mark
I will also one day mount an albie should I ever truly land one.
I think haveing these mounts around you give you a greater appreciation of the fish and lets you respect them a bit more

Oh yeah and the bragging rights

02-18-2003, 08:14 AM
That's one hell of a bass, especially when you consider it's a fly-rod fish!

02-18-2003, 09:55 AM
That's a sweet fish John!

I look forward to doing something like that in the future myself - need to spice up my office.

So far I have a one-of-a-kind charcoal striper sketh by Mr. Mukai, watercolor of Bertha from Tony, Juro's calamari fly on my bulletin board and two Harker's Island photos. Need more distractions!!

02-18-2003, 10:12 AM
Nice mount John!

A six-striper, rare. I can't wait to see it at the CAC.

Harry must be proud too! ;)

02-19-2003, 06:15 PM
Absolutely beautiful mount. If I only had one, I'd want it to look like that one!