got one [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: got one

timwatts
08-04-2001, 05:32 PM
Fished hedge fence this morning. Picked up my first Bonito of the season on the backside of the rip about an hour into the tide. The folks trolling were hitting them pretty good along with the mac's. My son thought it was a riot watching me cranking the little handle of the fly reel like a mad man when he ran back at the boat in typical Bonito fashion. Looking like we will hit it just about right for the BoneClave weekend.

Craig
08-04-2001, 08:21 PM
Way to go Tim! Congrats! I hope we have the same luck tomorrow.

juro
08-05-2001, 09:11 AM
Congrats Tim!!! Thanks for scouting things out, I'm glad you feel the timing is right. It was a wild-ass guess to try to maximize our chances for bonito, and it might just work! I sure hope so.

Great news!

grego
08-05-2001, 10:50 AM
Tim,

Great Job! What Pattern were you using?

timwatts
08-06-2001, 05:19 AM
Got him on a small blue and white fly tied on a bent shank hook. The shank is wrapped with white yarn and there is not much flash to it, size 4 hook. Did well with this fly last year on Bonito although it did not work well on Albacore. The white wrapped on the hook shank seems to make it more effective. Sorry about the crappy description probally doesn't tell ya much. Most of the Bonito seem to be out off Falmouth and out toward the vineyard. Spent all day yesterday along the elizabeths with my wife and kids jigging for fluke and seabass. Did not see any sighn of them. Had two seabass chopped in half by a couple very big very mean looking bluefish.

Roop
08-06-2001, 06:26 AM
Nice job Tim!

Look forward to seeing you at the Boneclave.

Roop

jared
08-06-2001, 08:09 AM
we got a few ourselves....fishing off the bonito bar...was so much bait we kept thinking it was time to put on rain gear!!

--jared

DFix
08-06-2001, 02:57 PM
timwatts (08-06-2001 06:19 a.m.):
Got him on a small blue and white fly tied on a bent shank hook. The shank is wrapped with white yarn and there is not much flash to it, size 4 hook. Did well with this fly last year on Bonito although it did not work well on Albacore. The white wrapped on the hook shank seems to make it more effective. Sorry about the crappy description probally doesn't tell ya much. Most of the Bonito seem to be out off Falmouth and out toward the vineyard. Spent all day yesterday along the elizabeths with my wife and kids jigging for fluke and seabass. Did not see any sighn of them. Had two seabass chopped in half by a couple very big very mean looking bluefish.

Sounds like the pattern of choice that day was a sweet Argentine Blonde; wonder if (bone virgin question here ??? ) they like those kinds of two color patterns or is it more the available bait in the area?

ssully
08-06-2001, 02:59 PM
jared (08-06-2001 09:09 a.m.):
we got a few ourselves....fishing off the bonito bar...was so much bait we kept thinking it was time to put on rain gear!!

--jared
Tim,
Congrats on the bone!!!

Jared,
Steve spotted you out there yesterday. He tried yelling over to you but I doubt you could have heard him over that surf. We also did well out there. Wasn't that bait something!!! Fog was impressive too.

jared
08-07-2001, 09:01 AM
Sully --

yeah that was definitely a fun morning! Had to leave
a tad early....did things continue after we left? Can't
wait to try it again!!!

--j

ssully
08-07-2001, 10:59 PM
jared (08-07-2001 10:01 a.m.):
Sully --

yeah that was definitely a fun morning! Had to leave
a tad early....did things continue after we left? Can't
wait to try it again!!!

--j

Jared,
No it slowed down by slack. I hung in there though and boated one on the long wand. Awesome. I'll go back in a heartbeat. :-)

juro
08-08-2001, 05:12 AM
You guys are killin' me! Congrats Ssully, just barely August and you're way ahead on the tunoid front. Jared - break out the big wuppin' stick, we're goin' to Carolina!

(after boneclave of course)