Fly pattern question. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly pattern question.

cohocola
02-16-2003, 01:28 AM
There is a lot of post in this forum reguarding one's "FAVORITE FLY PATTERNS", and that's cool.

But I want to know, what fly pattern do you loath the most?

Tell everyone about that single pattern or stlye that just makes you crazy...:eyecrazy:

I really dislike caddis dry fly patterns, they just do nothing for me.
I'm sure there are thousands of people that just think the caddis dry fly is the hottest thing since the poison dart, but I'm not one of them...

So, what bug, "BUGS" you the most...

pmflyfisher
02-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Egg Sucking Leeches there are none in my fly boxes.

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-16-2003, 11:07 AM
Glo-bugs, nuke eggs, egg patterns.

flytyer
02-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Those stupid plastic "egg flies" that are nothing more than a plastic bead super glued to a short shank hook. They may work as well as some of the Alskan guides claim, but I suspect they use them because they don't really know how to tie flies very well and this is a way for them to hide that fact. Glow bugs rank right up there as well, another "fly" that you can teach a person the tie in his/her first tying lesson.

BobK
02-17-2003, 01:11 AM
As long as they catch fish, and are technically flies for ethical fly fishing, I can't really dislike any of 'em! Some may be prettier, and some may be uglier than others, and "purists" may assail all other techniques but their own, but I guess I am just dumb enough to think that catching fish is fun, and the objective of why I really go out, along with the scenery, fresh air and fellowship of the other sportsmen.

BobK:tsk_tsk:

SDHflyfisher
02-17-2003, 04:35 PM
i have a hard time clipping spun deer haur just right but i don't dispise them

extmtbiker
02-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Bumblebee Trout flies

Capt. Mel Simpson
02-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Any thing With Jim Teeny's name attached. He is a disgrace to the flyfishing community!

Any fly in the last 30 years that someone has "discovered", there are no new flies, just someones version of an old pattern.

Those bloody egg things.

And while I'm at it anything below a float, or strike things or what ever they call them.

From a "Purist" :devil:

pmflyfisher
02-26-2003, 05:42 PM
I am right with you their Captain, except for those egg things I have to confess, they are way to effective for steelhead and salmon to not use at certain times.

Hate those floats too, never touched them in 43 years. If thats fly fishing it may be time for me to move full time to golf.

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-26-2003, 05:49 PM
Hal,

If memory serves you wanted your 12' spey to float(er indicator) fish for trout and Steel.

How much lead do you use c&d'in with those eggs flies? Most PM fisherman are well practiced in the c&d lift method.

sinktip
02-26-2003, 05:55 PM
ESL = Egg Sucking Leech
Yes they are effective for steelhead, I just find them not worthy of the fish.

removed_by_request
02-26-2003, 06:48 PM
ST,

Gotta agree on that one also. They look like a fly that did not know what it wanted to be, or perhaps the tier ran out of material.

BobK
02-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Leech patterns-. egg sucking variety or not - They MAY not be pretty, and screw up your aesthetics, but they sure do catch fish!

And those "float things" are a good way of getting a REAL drag free drift!:hehe:

BobK

removed_by_request
02-26-2003, 08:24 PM
If I use floats it will be with a proper float rod and reel. use the right tool for the job. Mono provides a better drift than any fly rod. Ask the Canadian center pin boys, they kick rump with that setup.

No arguement as to the ESL's fish catching ability but they are one rude nasty looking fly.

Just me
02-27-2003, 08:01 PM
I don't have any flies that I dislike but nothing gets me going better that a fish hitting a dry fly. Mainly a EHC. Just love to fish them flies. Oh and as for using a indicator,I don't use them and don't have any of them. The only way I would be using a nymph is if my floater sank.:D