Surface Patterns for quiet summer nights [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Surface Patterns for quiet summer nights

Adrian
02-15-2003, 09:29 PM
The spider-like patterns are called "PB"s ("P" is for parachute - "B" is for booby - see the warmwater section for instructions - they float - think "Crab Hatch".

The one in the middle is inspired by Capt. Bob Hines cinder worm pattern which he tied at Marlborough. Amazing what you can do with a rotary vise - dunno why it took me six years to try it out? :rolleyes:

http://www.avsharp.com/pbsandworm.jpg

striblue
02-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Very..Very Nice Adrian

Moron_Saxatilis
02-16-2003, 09:05 PM
That foam/parachute thing. How is it tied to the hook/ what is it? It looks like an AWACS! Anyone have any other floating cinder patterns? I was gonna try tying a small (1.5-3") gurgler type.. with bucktail, marabou tail, bunny tail and flatwingtail... Just gotta get some orange or red foam.

Smcdermott
02-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Adrian,
I wonder if those patterns would work on the False Albacore in LI sound when they get keyed in on those crab hatches. I think you and Mike Mayo might have to get together for a trial run this fall.

Sean

Adrian
02-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Awacs - why didn't I think of calling it that? The disk is attached to the hookshank by encasing it in a piece of nylon mesh from a lady's stocking, then wind a hackle parachute style. I hadn't thought of albies keying on a crab hatch.

I was thinking more along the lines of flat-calm inky-black new moon nights in May, June, July in the Housy estuary or the back ponds of Chatham.

Striper Addict
02-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Does anyone have any recipes for floating sand eels? I have experimented with a few but none came out any good. :confused:

juro
02-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Great stuff Adrian! I can't wait for the next still summer night in the shallows now that you bring it up!

Floating sandeel:

Page Roger's slim jim is about as good as it gets for that purpose - I've done a lot of damage with that fly as well as many variants of it with floating livebody foam bodies. Works well on albies / bonito as well. It's generally a small fly, but it can be adapted to much larger sizes.

saltydog
02-19-2003, 06:30 AM
ADRIEN, great looking , NICE LITTLE WORM!:smokin: