Tying Clave Sun Feb-16th [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tying Clave Sun Feb-16th

JimW
02-14-2003, 06:51 PM
Here's the plan:
Sunday Feb 16th we meet Here (http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/bin/maps-maponly/usr=~3e4d866e.532db.20c4.4/c=1/refsrc=SB.newsb/isredir=1/) and tie some flies, share some ideas, maybe tell a few fish stories. Hopefully John makes it and can demo his unique ties.
Looks like a small turnout, but that can have advantages too.
There's plenty of room in the hall so if we suddenly get a big turnout, no problem
$10 a head will cover it. Every person after the first $10 is a freebie, we can either lower the cost or everyting over the $100 cost goes to the forum.

As you enter the parking lot the church is on the left a school on the right and the hall is straight ahead.
We can order some take out, bring some drinks. There's a fridge and coffee maker. The wood floor means clean up is a snap. Let the feathers fly.

So what are you tying?

MarkDoogue
02-14-2003, 11:32 PM
I'll be there for at least a few hours. Who knows what I'll be tying since I have absolutely no clue as to what I am doing. I've tied one fly in my entire life.

I just bought great tying gear in anticipation of a prolific fly tying career.........:hehe:

As I said to my little brother Mike, it's like givin' guns to the indians.:D

juro
02-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Had food poisoning over the last 18 hours that could kill a horse, still feeling like death warmed over but I think I should be good to go by morning. I'll be tying steelhead flies for my upcoming trip.

Nobody come near me with any shrimp :whoa:

Adrian
02-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Great - looking forward to it.

Just hoping that the snow stays to the South!

MarkDoogue
02-15-2003, 11:02 AM
I may not be able to make it now, unforseen issues have reared their ugly heads.

I'll try to drop by, but, I'm good for $10 no matter what.

JimW
02-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Mark, if it's because the vise is lost in space we can probably do something about that. My buddy Rich was over at old salt today, his renzetti base was in the same shipment. I've got a thompson that will hold a hook, it's not high end unit but I got by with it until I went for a regal. Anyone else have a spare vice?

MarkDoogue
02-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Oh, the vise is definitely among the missing. I stopped by to grab it today and Mike told me the shipment was MIA.

I have an old, cheap vise that I've had floating around my house for a while so that isn't an issue.

My wife wants to do something tomorrow and it will conflict for at least part of the tying time. I'll probably drop by anyway. Thanks for offering to set me up, though.

Adrian
02-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Jim, somehow the link isn't coming up with a location - can you repost?:confused:

JimW
02-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Here's the address -

St Bridget's School
455 Plymouth St
Abington, MA 02351-1879

Here is another shot at the link (http://mapblast.com/myblastd/createmap.d?remLoc=&AD4=USA&E=ahV-jdmSnOx7rnOPutrt_Mb5tbb9X6F5SaApdx6S6l3Zofcz0nes5m fbCuBT8_ioPzKX7Pf8n4lL0j1TGY&AD2=455+Plymouth+St&AD3=abington%2Cma&AIR=&selCategory=defaultCat&x=0&y=0)

Roop
02-16-2003, 07:05 AM
Thanks Jim - see you there.

juro
02-16-2003, 08:21 AM
I'm heading down in about 30 mins, see you there

Adrian
02-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks Jim!!!

I'll be leaving shortly - see you around 12:30 - 1:00 (ish)

MarkDoogue
02-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Thanks again, Jim, for putting that tying session together with such short notice.

It was a great location, all those that couldn't make it really missed out.

Great to see everyone. I took some really good footage of Adrian tying a flatwing. I wish I could load it on the FFF. For future reference I'll take video from as close as possible because the picture was grainy when the camera was more than a few feet away.

MarkDoogue
02-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Here are two pics of the same fly. It is the partially completed flatwing of JimW.

http://images.andale.com/f2/112/121/10654987/1045547442417_flatwing1.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/112/121/10654987/1045547437057_flatwing2.jpg

Sorry, they're a bit large.:eyecrazy:

I just wanted to show the detail.

juro
02-18-2003, 08:06 AM
Why it's a big white hair... no wait, there's something attached to that hair.... it's another hair... scroll, scroll, Aha! It's a chartreuse hair! scroll, scroll, :devil:

Just kidding, I actually am amazed by the detail. You've got a great camera, and you must be hosting that pic at a very accomodating image hosting site.

For general reference, 500-600 pixels fills the average flytalk frame, and most people are using 1024 pixels of display across their whole computer screen. 700-800 pixels will fill a typical browser window side-to-side.

But as long as it's not burning bandwidth here.... go for it! :)

JimW
02-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Mark, glad you could make it, hope the vise shows up soon.
It was a small group but a good one. Thanks guys for chipping in extra on the hall.

Roop
02-18-2003, 08:52 AM
Jim,

Thanks for hosting this. It was great to see everybody and confirm that I can't tie a fly to save my life.....;)

Anyone want to meet for lunch today? My 9:00 meeting cancelled and my office doesn't open until 11:00. Just in time for me to skip out & monkey around.

Roop

JimW
02-18-2003, 10:56 AM
That detail is a little scary, looks like the hook could be a bit sharper:whoa:.

Mark whatever you're using for a camera and editing settings would be perfect for the fresh water fly pic archive.

Roop, ya gotta leave the shotgun at home, it's already scaring off the clients.:D

Broadbill
02-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Jim, thanks for putting it together. You learn more in a couple of hours comparing notes and looking over other people's shoulders than nights and nights of tying alone. Thanks as well to Roop, Adrian, and Juro for showing me three fine variations on the Deep Eel. I came home and tyed up a bunch I'm really happy with. Mark, now that you've got a world-class how-to video, start wrapping feathers. And we all have to watch out for Jim's daughter, Jenna. She was cranking out five handsome sparse Clousers to my one forlorn Eel Punt. Thanks again to all.

striblue
02-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Sorry I missed it... I got a call from Juro looking for directions and I was glad he followed them as it took him basically to the door. I am hoping to make any other we have and look forward to the Willmington show....

FredA
02-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Glad I decided to drop in and say hello. Wish I had brought my stuff and tied. Nieces basketball game was horrid, they got upset and played pretty bad.

My tying has regressed. About the only thing I can tie half way decently is a clouser/deep eel, but not quite as nice as Jenna's. Watched Jim tie a couple of nice flatwings, L&L's I think. Maybe I need some of those fancy hackles.

Looks like Roop's got some big honkin hungry fish in mind based on what he's tying.