Virus Information:W32.Klez.H@mm [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Virus Information:W32.Klez.H@mm

fredaevans
02-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Guys/Gals keep your anti virus programs current, scan your hard drive often, etc.

At the bank alone, our auto system has cleaned this out of MY incomeing e mail eight times (ya, 8!!) this week alone. For those who don't know this little bugger it will do major crap to your hard drive.

I'm repeating myself here, but if you get an attachment in a e mail always recheck with the sender before opening same. Or if you're sending out an attachment alway put something in the body of the e mail saying what the attachment is, and that it's 'ok' to open.

To paraphrase a past President: "Trust, but verify."
fae

flytyer
02-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Fred,

My 15 year old picked this one up in mid-January from opening an attachment without scanning it that was sent to him from someone he thought was a friend of his. I found out that he got our computer infected when I was not able to get the computer to work properly while logged on to one of the classed I teach. I ended up having to reformat the hard drive and reinstalling the software to fix the damage it caused through file corruption. My 15 year old now scans everything and has learned to verify that a friend has actually sent him an attachment.

fredaevans
02-15-2003, 05:37 AM
One of the '8' mentioned above is a Board member. My, or rather KeyBank's E mail system automaticly sends out a message to the sender advising them they're screwed. In later conversation it appears this will be the 2'nd time he's gotten the damn thing on his hard drive.
Yuck!:mad:

juro
02-15-2003, 08:50 AM
Don't forget many email viruses spoof the 'from' addresses (if not most) so the sender listed is usually not the source of the email. I've noticed some animosity over this directed toward those who are thought to have been sent, that's just what these hackers want, don't fall for it.

Like Fred says keep things current and scan often.

removed_by_request
02-15-2003, 09:07 AM
I echo what Juro says about the spoofing.

Klez is infamous for that. It masks the infected system with someones name from your address book. This makes it impossible to track down.

I support e-mail for 2500 user's. When this baby hit it was a free for all.

We had zero infections on the inside all the mail came from the out side. The only thing that saved us was massive anti-v updates and constant scanning of our e-mail systems.

Any one running a system without ant-v protection is looking for trouble.

fredaevans
02-19-2003, 12:38 AM
Since signing off the office computer on Friday evening the Bank's system cleaned out 4 more of these darned things .... bad news is another one was from a Board member.

:(

Buy/run/update your anti-virus program!
fae

fredaevans
02-20-2003, 10:46 AM
[Picture of a word type document here] - loading[1].htmVirus Information:
The attachment to load.pif contained the virus W32.Klez.H@mm and was deleted.

Sigh.

:(

BobK
02-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Lots of people are unaware of need to update virus programs. Many will say,"Mine runs in the background and updates automatically. So does mine - except I found out that Norton loads and runs their updates on Wednesday. Every Thursday, I make it a point to manually run an update, and guess what? I get a new update to load every time!

My advice - find out when the company routinely updates, and take the time to load them.

BobK