flatwings [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: flatwings

joe wojtan
02-13-2003, 07:59 PM
Still practicing in tying flatwings, here are three that I tied on a 253NA Striper hook 1/0.
The fly measures 3 inches.
http://www.pixhost.com/pixj/jwojtan/three-flat-wings.jpg
Your comments would be appreciated.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Joe

boarmountain
02-14-2003, 05:56 AM
Looking good joe!:D
You could use about half as much bucktail in the collar and wing ,other than that, awsome!
Mike B

joe wojtan
02-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by boarmountain
Looking good joe!:D
You could use about half as much bucktail in the collar and wing ,other than that, awsome!
Mike B

Thanks Mike

mistrg
02-14-2003, 02:07 PM
They look great. Would you share the recipe and procedure?;)

CRegalis
02-14-2003, 02:16 PM
I like 'em, Joe. Would love to be able to do as well.
I have never tied flatwings- would I need to acquire some stiff hackles which are different than the garden-variety saddle hackle that I already have?

boarmountain
02-14-2003, 03:38 PM
actually the type of saddles you need have long,skinny feathers w/ soft stems so the feathers move w/ the slightest bit of current.Stiff saddle hackle is the opposite of what is required.
Mike

CRegalis
02-14-2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the information- I appreciate that. Actually I had been reading an article which said something about a stiff white hackle to be used as a support for the ones to follow. It was a new idea to me.

boarmountain
02-14-2003, 04:06 PM
The support hackle is a neck feather w/ a stiff stem. It is tied curve side up w/ the saddle hackles tied curve side down on top of the support.
Mike B

CRegalis
02-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks Mike- looks like, if I want to tie flat wings, I need to get a neck or two and learn to dub the pillow!

Ron Simon

Moron_Saxatilis
02-15-2003, 06:12 AM
You can tie them with ordinary saddles. These are broader and I prefer the broader ones on many patterns. You can't tie 10" flies with these however. A simple one would be something like a Rhody Flatwing. You can use a single broad saddle or schlappen feather tied flat on a slightly flaired bucktail tail. The pillow is easy, it's just a tad of dubbing. You don't really need a pillow on a single feather fly, especially if you are using a feather with a thicker vein. Just wrap over it with 2-5 turns of thread loosely and grab the tip w/ one hand and the butt of stem w/ the other a wiggle it into place horizontal. Take a few more wraps and draw a bit of the feather under the wraps and done.