poll favorite nymph [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: poll favorite nymph

SDHflyfisher
02-13-2003, 04:27 PM
just want to know what everyones favorite nymph is

SDHflyfisher
02-13-2003, 04:32 PM
if i missed your favorite just post it these are the basics there are many many more nymph patterns than this

fredaevans
02-13-2003, 04:49 PM
The BH Prince is one of the major go to flys for summer runs (especially if you're using a two fly system-it will be the dropper/trailer.) on the upper Rogue. Have 'flung' BH gold ribbed hare's ear's until I'm blue in the face and have yet to hook a fish with it since 1996.

Go figure?
fae

SDHflyfisher
02-13-2003, 04:58 PM
i voted for the BH gold ribbed hare's ear because i caught my first trout on a nymph on it who voted for the pheasant tail

BobK
02-13-2003, 05:08 PM
Steelhead LOVE BH hare's ears, especially if you add a pearl or green "flashabou" (or equiv.) wingcase for flash. This is my "go to" fly.

BobK

Dble Haul
02-13-2003, 05:09 PM
I have to go with the bead head prince nymph. I've caught too many fish with that fly to ignore it in a poll like this. :)

wsgarvey
02-13-2003, 10:31 PM
After reading the question, I scanned as far as Prince and selected it. Should have looked farther ... BH Prince was a killer for me last fall in Colorado.

Has anyone tried one of these ... Univeral Nymph ? http://www.globalflyfisher.com/patterns/universal/

BigDave
02-14-2003, 08:21 AM
BHPT for me. My number one go-to from sizes 12-22.

John Desjardins
02-14-2003, 08:37 AM
I'm with BigDave on the BHPT nymph. Quick to tie & deadly for multiple conditions.

SDHflyfisher
02-14-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by wsgarvey
After reading the question, I scanned as far as Prince and selected it. Should have looked farther ... BH Prince was a killer for me last fall in Colorado.

Has anyone tried one of these ... Univeral Nymph ? http://www.globalflyfisher.com/patterns/universal/

good to see another wisconsinite here there aren't too many of us but then agian i'm a born new yorker. that's a neat fly i've never seen it before i'll try to tie one tonigh i'll have to substitute some materials though

SDHflyfisher
02-15-2003, 07:24 PM

i tied an olive variation of it and it turned out pretty good

Adrian
02-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Great selection! But I had to go with the traditional GRHE. Incredibly versatile - at a pinch it can be treated with floatant to hang like an emerger in the film. For down and dirt work simply pinch on a tiny tungsten shot. Pheasant tail comes in a very close second.

SDHflyfisher
02-15-2003, 09:11 PM
adrian how's the fishing out there on the housy?!:hehe: i'll be out there agian this summer

Adrian
02-15-2003, 09:18 PM
I took a ride up there back before Christmas and truded thru the snow. Spectacular on a bright sunny day. Lots of ice in the flow and very high water levels. Hard to believe its only six weeks 'till April and the Hendrickson hatch.

Let me know when you're coming over and we'll hook up!

wsgarvey
02-16-2003, 02:26 PM
SDHflyfisher ... thanks for the feedback. Guess I better give it a try too.

p.s., recently back to WI waters, lived in western Colorado for several years. I'll miss the fishing (and incredible beauty) there, but WI streams are at the core of my vision of a good day fished in solitude.

SDHflyfisher
02-17-2003, 03:26 PM
i have to go to the western part of the state to FF this summer i want to go to to W fork of the kickapoo

adrian i will probably get there around mid june

SDHflyfisher
02-26-2003, 06:15 PM
SDHflyfisher ... thanks for the feedback. Guess I better give it a try too.

p.s., recently back to WI waters, lived in western Colorado for several years. I'll miss the fishing (and incredible beauty) there, but WI streams are at the core of my vision of a good day fished in solitude.

early torut season starts this weekend too

SDHflyfisher
02-26-2003, 06:16 PM
adrian plans may change i might not go if i het a job that i am applying for

ashley
02-27-2003, 05:02 PM
I went for hares ear nymph but the version I use doesnt actualy have a rib.I mix gold crystal flash in with fur.
I also get about the same results with PTN(tiny),so they both get my vote.

extmtbiker
03-23-2003, 11:17 AM
When I go fishing, I almost always use a prince nymph and catch something, they are great allover the world.:hehe: