How heavy is too heavy? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: How heavy is too heavy?

MarkDoogue
02-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Crab flies are meant to be fished on the bottom, obviously.

How heavy is too heavy when making one of these flies. I'd imagine the heaviest you could cast would be best.

I have an idea I spoke with my brother about today and we couldn't come up with an informed decision because neither of us has done much fishing with crab flies.

Smcdermott
02-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Mark,
I think it depends on the type of the crab, but I would not say the heavier the better as a rule.

If you are trying to imitate the lady crabs found often in the surf than you would want a fly that moves and has action as they are great swimmers.

If you are looking to imitate the green crabs found primarily in estuary environs than you would want something that would rest on the bottom or move just slightly with the current. These crabs are not fast movers and their primary form of defense is camoflage not fleeing.

Sean

juro
02-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Lady crabs are very creative escape artists. Most of the time when they are swimming they are breeding from what I have observed. When they are on the flats, they tend to bury themselves in a blink, straight down into the sand.

As far as heavy... I never add more than a standard non-toxic barbell like the 'real eyes' in my crab patterns and they get down just fine. A lot depends on the presentation - meaning the cast and how you play the current.

All that being said, it you can create the effect of resisting the current in a castable crab I am sure a striper would find that attractive, as real crabs have that ability.

striblue
02-13-2003, 12:02 AM
A Dumbell is perfect, infact ,if you want the fly to lay on it's stomack you would tye the dumbell at mid shank, balanced with the body... for a swimming or diving crab you would tie it to the hook eye, whether you use a side swim or back swim actioned crab. I am going with stationary crabs this year on the flats...just sitting in the lanes ,leting the current or water movement move the crabs and legs somewhat. In a heavy current we sometimes get around the crib at Monomoy it's impossible to keep the crab in place but the dumbell will not stop a good drift in those conditions.

Roop
02-13-2003, 09:43 AM
When they are on the flats, they tend to bury themselves in a blink, straight down into the sand.

Take a look at Catherwood's crab in Veverka's book - a perfect example.

Mark, if you would like to get together with a sloppy, un-inspired tyer, let me know. We could feed the wives wine & let the kids destroy the place.

Roop