speybum
02-12-2003, 09:43 AM
I think they are Cherry Salmon.
The rod is a CND I know but what is the fly

:devil:

OC
02-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Kush,
Could they be that notorius fish that sometimes escapes net pens?

cohocola
02-12-2003, 10:36 AM
I'll say they are COHO's
After all, I am cohocola.....

wrke
02-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Speybum
I'm not sure, but the fly looks like a sunray shadow.
Bill

BobK
02-12-2003, 12:35 PM
They just about look like the fish that has the latin name for "The Leaper".

BobK

John Desjardins
02-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Im with OC & BobK id'ing them as atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) on this one for a couple of reasons: no fear of the rod means used to humans. The coloration, length of the jaw versus the eye look right for the atlantic.

fredaevans
02-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Only seen them in photo's but the 'spots' are what make me go that way in my thinking.

The two were released .... right?
fae

sinktip
02-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Assuming no photoshop intervention, I vote Cherry Salmon.

OC
02-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Once again Sinktip your observations could be correct on the photoshop. Always go with your first reaction. But then again Kush being the gifted fisherman he is may have the ability to land two salmon at once or better yet he talks with fishes and asked them for a photo op. Yes it could be an add from Japan but knowing Kush I fear that maybe too easy. Anyway they are some what pretty little fish so they could be Cherry but then again farm raised fish are also somewhat on the smallish side. I bet Willi Gun could solve the puzzle.

SDHflyfisher
02-12-2003, 04:26 PM
i'd say pink salmon other than that i have no clue:confused:

Doublespey
02-12-2003, 04:56 PM
I'll be happy to supply not only the species but also the website where our esteemed Kush stole the pic from!:devil:

Cherries to you! :razz:

DS

KerryS
02-12-2003, 04:57 PM
I think I agree with SDHflyfisher. Pinks.

kush
02-12-2003, 06:42 PM
They are in fact the elusive 6th Pacific salmon - the Cherry Salmon. The CND rod was a giveaway for some. No Brian - Nobuo sent me this photo in an e-mail and Tak used it on the CND web-site. They are cool fish and I will post another shot so you can all have another look.

kush
02-12-2003, 07:19 PM
Here's another look with a fish Nobuo took.

juro
02-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Great quiz Kush! I abstained from answering because I have seen the img before and recognized the pic immediately. What struck me as most interesting was that there were two together in a fishery that is reputed to be difficult. It's like seeing two nice steelies together, freshly caught. Maybe a double with the photographer!

fredaevans
02-12-2003, 09:20 PM
a passing reference to "Cherry Salmon." Something for Asian rivers only?
fae

wrke
02-12-2003, 10:23 PM
OK, Kush
But was the fly a sunray shadow?
Bill

kush
02-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Bill, I don't know which fly - I only wish it was me there with those fish, but alas it was Nobuo - I'll ask him when he comes to Seattle for the show.

Fred, the Cherry Salmon is, I gather found primarily in Japan, but it would make sense that they are also found all along the NE coast of the Pacific. This pink/coho sized salmon is the 6th Pacific salmon (7th if you count the steelhead).

Nobuo tells me that the Cherry Salmon (so named for the time of its run - when the cherry trees are in blossom) is the primary quarry for the double-handed crowd in the Land of the Rising Sun.

OC
02-13-2003, 09:31 AM
They are a nice looking fish. Does anyone know difficult it is in Japan to get a permit to fish for the Cherry Salmon? I can imagine with the population of Japan and the enviromental protections they have in place in Northern Japan it would be difficult. Five or 6 years ago I believe it was National Geographic did a show on the indigenous people of N. Japan and thier ceremony for the cherry blossom and cherry salmon. The costumes, head dress and face paint that those native people wore for the celebrations were as sophisticated as any I've seen from around the world. If any one gets a chance to see that show don't miss it.
Kush nice job! You got at least half of us and would have got all of us if not for the rod.

Doublespey
02-13-2003, 10:12 AM
I remembered when I first saw a picture of a Cherry Salmon (on that same website) I thought it looked like a cross between a Coho (shape) with an Atlantic (big spots).

Sure is a pretty fish, and probably a lot of fun on the fly.

SDHflyfisher
02-13-2003, 04:02 PM
i've never heard of cherries before now

striblue
02-13-2003, 06:08 PM
AHHH....Striper?

t_richerzhagen
02-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Kush,

Any information on when we might be able to access CND rods on this side of the pond?

PS Fred needs another rod to purchase or maybe more than one more?

fredaevans
02-14-2003, 03:32 PM
:D

May get a chance to try these in a few weeks; will know in awhile.
fae

kush
02-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Ted,

I don't have the skinny on that, but I expect to know alot more as of next weekend as Nobuo will be in seattle for the show.

BobK
02-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Yeah, there are salmonids in Japan - char and oncorhynchus babies that are native. Some stocked brookies, rainbows and browns, as well. BTW, flyfishing is very popular with a small segment.

Not only in the Northern section (where the resident people are called "hairy Ainos" by the more southerly Japanese.) These northern residents are nice people, despite the name!

Never got to do any when I was there, both in the Marines on R&R - (other things to do of more urgency back then), and as a businessman. But I knew Japanese that did - and some that even hunted!

Incidentally, Korea also has some of these species of salmonids too.

BobK

striblue
02-14-2003, 11:18 PM
Speaking of Japan...I just read a newspaper article about them trying to get rid of all the Blue Gills and certain Bass that were in their water supply and killing their Gobbies... the Blue Gills had been originally introduced to Japan by a gift to the emperor from the then mayor of Chicago, Richard Daley.

BobK
02-15-2003, 07:32 PM
In case anyone is interested, here are some web sites to explore. Beautiful art and photos, too, and a little biology, too.

As a word of warning, these are in English. use them just as they are sent. You will probably keep getting offers to download a conversion - DON'T DO IT! All you will do is translate it in Kanji (the Japanese text).

http//www.itow.com/amago/index2.html

http//www.ozemail.com.au/kamosida/japan.htm

http//home.att.ne.jp/gold/XLV750R/english/index.htm

Yeah, the fish aren't big - but they are beautiful little jewels, and the scenery is outstanding! A lot of it is around Kyoto and Nara (my old stomping grounds!)

BobK :)

Scott K
02-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Judging from the front portion of the two fish, which is only shown, and ignoring the rod, I would have to say those fish are Coho. But with previous knowledge that Kush has, we know they're masu's. I think the challenge wasn't fair though. We never got to have a look at the Salmon's tails; One of the important identification feature of Salmonids aside from the front portion's of their bodies.

Kush, do you have any pictures of their tales? Also, what about the amago salmon?

Through reading, I have come to understand that Masu's seem to live in Freshwater a reasonable amount of time. Longer than Coho or Sockeye in general. I would imagine then that they have sort of "replaced" the steelhead in their native waters possibly (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have heard a report of a Masu being caught in the Squamish River many years back.

BobK
02-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Someone asked earlier how "hard" it is to get a permit in Japan. Here's what I remember - There are stream "co-op"- type organizations, in charge of taking care of the streams, and they charge you a fee per day. Not really expensive, but the better streams cost more. These run somewhere between $10 and $20 per day - actually fairly reasonable. Interesting country.

Can't guarantee that northern Japan is the same, but that's about what I remember hearing from my Japanese buddies.

BobK