Deleware River in early May [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Deleware River in early May

FishHawk
02-12-2003, 05:17 AM
Will be on the Deleware River May 12 and will like to know what flies to use. I'll match the Hatch but are there any special flies that work. Also, general area to fish would be helpful. FishHawk

boarmountain
02-12-2003, 05:40 AM
caddis

BobK
02-12-2003, 09:27 AM
That's a lot of territory. Depends where you will be on the river and the weather. As a general rule, follow the recommendations
posted on a whole bunch of web sites on the Beaverkill. They are pretty accurate.

But I would make sure that I had caddis patterns and hendricksons with me. Generally the hendricksons are size 10 or 12, and the for the caddis I would use 14s or 16s. Depending on weather, that time of year could possibly see hatches of apple green caddis, and "shadflies" (a local name for a type of caddis).
Also, make sure you have some comparadun patterns along - this is the water where Caucci developed his patterns (and he still swears by 'em).

If the weather turns hot and you encounter low water conditions, and water temps start to rise on the main river, drive a few miles upstream to the West Branch of the Delaware- it's a tailwater fishery and temps are normally good all year from the discharge at the dam.

Just some general info, but I hope it helps.

Oh, yeah, depending on the weather, you may just hit a good run of SHAD! Make sure you have a few shad darts made up and ready to go, as these silvery demons act like steelhead when hooked! (Lots of guys go just for the shad!)

BobK

pmflyfisher
02-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Yep Shad in mid may on the Big D can be great if you find them.

I was fishing them on the fly rod when I left in 1979 for the GLs only one doing it at that time that I could see. Others were using the spinning rod throwing weithted shad darts (jigs).

Lots of fun when you find them and touch them.

PM Out

P.S. What about stone fly nymphs on the Bid D as I recall it was loaded with them.

BobK
02-12-2003, 12:43 PM
I didn't mention 'em - I thought every fly angler always carried 'em because they seem to be a universal favorite! (And they work everywhere.)

BobK

moosestang
02-12-2003, 02:14 PM
The delaware adams worked for me

fredaevans
02-12-2003, 03:03 PM
suggest a fly that looks like a 'hot water bottle.' Mr. Fish snuggles up to get warm and POW!
:devil:

BobK
02-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Actually, the water is probably around 40 degrees in the West Branch. It is a tailwater fishery, and gets its water from the bottom of the dam. Since water is most dense at just about 40 degrees, it sinks to the bottom, and the colder water is stratified above it.

With the 33 degree water I've been fishing in lately, that would feel like a heat wave!

BobK

SDHflyfisher
02-12-2003, 04:21 PM
i don't have much expeience there exept that i was there this summer just ask the local fly shops if you are in roscoe there's about 5 fly shops right now i'm wearing my catskill flies hat that i got there this summer

BobK
02-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Before I relocated here (<2 yrs ago), I lived 1/2 hour's drive from the West Branch. (I was about 1 1/2 hrs. from Roscoe). Man, what a blast. The impact of a tailwater fishery (West Branch) lives in my memory. Temps were stable virtually year round, lots of fish and willing to strike - what an ideal location THAT was for stream trout action.

But no regrets - I now have trib fishing and steelies, etc. , and a couple of decent trout streams nearby (my favorite is 1.7 miles from my door!), and as usual, lots of sportsmen/fishermen to visit with.

BobK

SDHflyfisher
02-13-2003, 03:58 PM
i FFed the east branch