Wow! This you've just gotta see. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wow! This you've just gotta see.

fredaevans
02-11-2003, 11:02 PM
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.htm

Many thanks to John B for sending me this web link. Think your "significant" in the Universe .... Re-think 'that thought.'
fae

striblue
02-11-2003, 11:28 PM
That is a great photo play....incredible

FredA
02-12-2003, 06:33 AM
That is pretty neat. Thanks Fred.

juro
02-12-2003, 06:57 AM
Cool!

Reminds me of just how miraculous it is that we have such a nurturing home in the universe, where not only does life exist but it thrives; and where the blackness of space would be our sky there is robin's egg blue from the veil of atmosphere that lets us walk freely without concern about the air we breathe.

It reminds me of timeless things like how glacial melt frees sediment into the headwaters of great rivers that had been locked in ice for millenia to see a much different world that it had before when it flowed freely in waters sometime before the ice age. We are so often obsessed with life beyond earth; I say "it doesn't matter" as we, the species known as man willingly trash this lonely blue oasis, an infinitesimal spec in the infinite vastness of the cosmos.

From this bounty we build our lives and families, friendships and jobs where in the hustle and bustle amidst the concrete forest we so quickly forget about the miracle we tread heavily upon. Some don't see the significance, missing this miracle sometimes for a whole human lifetime, albeit just a blink in relative time.

Others step into the waters before the first bird has chirped in the stillness of the day to cast a fly, feeling the life we've been blessed with deep into the marrow.

Yes this post is a bit off over the edge but once in a while I need to remind myself!

removed_by_request
02-12-2003, 07:55 AM
It does make one feel kind of small.

willmullis
02-12-2003, 08:19 AM
That was awesome! http://members.cox.net/bones96/images/smilies/worship.gif

BobK
02-12-2003, 08:45 AM
That was a good reminder of the insignificance of us all. And if it were possible to image "time". we would be dramatically even less significant!

BobK

DFix
02-12-2003, 09:27 AM
Wowie Kazowie !

Educational and humbling at once! Thanks.

fredaevans
02-12-2003, 02:07 PM
NPR that NASA may have just gotten some even more off the wall photo's. Some of the very first part of the universe that formed (stars, etc.) after the big bang. Light from these photo's apparently took 13 Billion (yes, that's a "B") years to get to earth.

fae

MJC
02-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Yes, I also thought this was very cool. Thank you Fred and John B. for posting this.

MarkDoogue
02-12-2003, 06:47 PM
For whatever reason, it won't load on my computer.

flytyer
02-12-2003, 11:44 PM
Once again, you canot ignore the order and design evident throughout the universe from the largest viewpoing to the smallest earlthy atomic building block. And the earth is the only known celestial body that suppots life in our galaxy, possible in the whole universe, as far as science is able to tell at this time.

Who is man that he thinks he is the ultimate arbiter of truth and righteousness when we all are rather insignificant beings who last but for a vapor of time?

cohocola
02-16-2003, 12:53 AM
Of all the galaxies, and all the stars, and all of the planets, is this the only one with fly fishing?

To think Earth is the only one with life (I didn't say human life) seems like such a waste.

Countless galxies, tens of trillions of stars and planets fill the universe...

"And man thinks this speck is it???"

I want to be the first earthling to fly fish Europa. (a moon of Jupiter suspected of having liquid water under it's surface)