Did I hear that right?????? Rogue fish count. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Did I hear that right?????? Rogue fish count.

fredaevans
02-10-2003, 03:56 PM
We've got a local 800 # you can call for river flow, temps and fish count. Water flow has really been cut off due to lack of rain. Down from 2200 cfs to 950 cfs out of the dam. Anything below 1500 cfs is PRIMORDIAL for fly fishing.

Fish count passed Medford on 1-15-03 was 5340 .....
on 1-28-03 it had jumped to 12,183!!!!!!!

Can we all say "Holy S...!"

"Boss? This is Fred; I feel 'terrible' man, ... tummy ache..." (The part that gets left out of the conversation covers the two spey rods in the car.

By, by.
:devil:

pmflyfisher
02-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Are those numbers certified by some one other than that one over worked fishery employee on the Rogue who is backlogged 3-4 weeks continually performing the counting ?

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-10-2003, 06:47 PM
That is a healthy run.

We used to have runs like that, in the heyday of GL(Lake Michigan) steelheading.

We would get 10k fish up a little creek 20' wide.

It was mano y mano when you hooked one of the beasts. Many times I had double figure fish days with maybe 2-3 fish landed. Alas those days are long gone, due to scum line fishing(or so they say)

I feel there is more to it then Charter Capts. banging them on the big lake. Always felt it had to do with loss of bio-mass and pollution.

BobK
02-12-2003, 06:43 PM
I can't speak to all of the Great Lakes, but I attended a Lake Ontario NYSDEC meeting, where they gave a good update on the overall state of the fishery, looking for public input for planning. Key points were that nutrients (hence biomass) are down due to pollution abatement, particularly municipal sewage. This was a result of the EPA and regulations enforcing it 30 to 40 years ago. The reason we see it now is it takes so long to dilute and affect the huge volumes of water in the lakes. Nutrients are down to a normal historical low level.

Other points are that naturally occurring "minnow food" (algae, worms, scuds and shrimp, etc. are WAY down.) They couldn't pinpoint the exact cause, but it seems to be coincidental with zebra and quagga mussel population explosions. As their populations and density goes up, the others decline drastically, but they don't have scientific conclusive proof yet. Anyway, as a result, populations and growth/condition of baitfish and sportfish are also affected.

Many of us pushed for a "one trout limit" on the tribs, as we have trophy browns as well as steelies. I think that it will be in the regs by fall, as opposed to the current 3-fish limit. I personally would like to see you have to leave the stream if you keep the one fish, but....

As usual, there were lots of requests for, "stock more (name any favorite fish species) so there are more fish!" Yeah. Right.

I took notes of the meeting. Send your e-mail address, and I will forward them if you are interested.

BobK

fredaevans
02-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
Are those numbers certified by some one other than that one over worked fishery employee on the Rogue who is backlogged 3-4 weeks continually performing the counting ?

PM Out

Game dept actually video's the fish ladder and someone sits there and reviews the tape with a counter. Only 'no can do' part, for the most part, is seperate "wild fish" from hatchery fish. If you can't see the clipped fin, etc.
fae

River flow today is 904 cfs (down again) at 41.2 degrees.

Fish count: 1-28-03

Steelhead count through the counter (or rather video) - From 1-1-03 (if I got this right?) winter runs: 7,009
Last of summer runs and winter runs: 12,183

Willie Gunn
02-13-2003, 03:28 AM
[i]
River flow today is 904 cfs (down again) at 41.2 degrees.

[/B]

Fred, Is that degrees f you are quoting, the Spey drops as it gets colder, the frost holds back the feeder streams. It is about 35 just now.

Malcolm

fredaevans
02-13-2003, 11:36 AM
Main run of water for the upper Rogue comes out of a huge lake so water temp's are fairly stable. They can go up or down a few degrees if we get a shot of really cold weather ... which we've really only had a tad so far this winter.

Water temp posted is that actually coming out of the dam.
fae