Infor from Cape Cod Anglers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Infor from Cape Cod Anglers

pmjasper
02-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Hello, I am planning a trip up to the Wellfleet area of Cape Cod the last two weeks of June. I am looking for som guidance on fly patterns to have for the trip. I've heard numerous times about the sandeel bite up in Mass. but was wondering what other flies and sizes I should take along. Thank you.

bcasey
02-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Hey pmj,
check out the thread on "if you only had 6 flies" and you will get a pretty good handle on what to use, then hit the fly tying threads and you'll be in business. and when it gets closer, post your arrival a week or two in advance and you might just get someone to show you around, boat or shore. I'm out of Falmouth but trailor all over the cape, maybe a trip swap is in order. I have yet to throw a fly in N.J. ???;)

striblue
02-11-2003, 07:25 PM
PMJ... I will be in Chatham on those weekends and can take you for a spin of Monomoy..we would use Crab flies... Juro's Deep sand Eels... and sparce clousers.

pmjasper
02-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Sounds like fun guys. Anytime you want to head down to NJ let me know. I'm about an hour away from the salt but know some good freshwater spots to try for smallmouth bass and pike. If you want to hit the surf we could do that as well. I'm a kayak fisherman, so usually I'm out trolling about until I find the fish and then I can sit on them if they are there in numbers. If you haven't kayak fished and are interested, I have two. Nothing like getting out on the water and catching fish when those on the bank are left fishless. The kayak has saved many days for me.

striblue
02-11-2003, 09:23 PM
That's better. I have one also ,a tri-balance and they would be great around s.beach and Monomoy.

juro
02-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Sounds like you are fishing the bayside (yak et. al); sand eels, young-of-year herring, crabs, flounder, silversides, etc are great in June. Big herring patterns are effective earlier and bunker later in the fall. I would guess you are fishing Pamet, Billingsgate Isl. area, etc?

pmjasper
02-12-2003, 06:27 AM
Yes Juro...Forgive me if I'm not familiar with all of the towns in that area but I did do a little research on the Pamet River and it looks interesting. I'm going with some guys that were up that way last year. I believe that over the coarse of a week, weather permitting, we will fish both the bayside and oceanside on the Cape. I'm just trying my best to be prepared for anything that might arise in the fishing sense. Thank all of you for your insight. It is much appreciated.