Mylar Tube Bait Fish Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mylar Tube Bait Fish Fly

James Jon
02-09-2003, 10:16 PM
I was reading in the winter Fly Tyer magazine about a two tube fly. I liked it because it looked easy to tie and it was also a clouser style fly.

I love the action of clouser style flies for stripers & blues, so I am always looking for new flies in that style.

Well, I went out and bought some mylar tubing and started tying, but I could not get a good profile and the flies were stiff. So I started playing around and came up with a one tube version.

It seems to have a better profile and has a little more movement. I doubt its an original, but at least tonight it is.

James Jon
02-10-2003, 09:40 AM
BTW. For reference, that is a size 1/0 hook.

striblue
02-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks for submitting..looks good.. These can be hard to tye ,especially if you add additional material to the tail... I will use a bodkin to keep it straight and tye around the material AND bodkin and before I tie off I will slip the bodkin out. This allows you to add any other type of tail material you want.

Adrian
02-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Nice pattern James!

Rich Murphy from Umpqua was building some interesting tube-fly style patterns using EZ Body at Newport this past week-end. The plastic tube assists the process by providing a semi-rigid core against which the EZ Body can be tied in and "Tensioned" to provide the right profile and finally as a base for super gluing either side to maintain the profile.

Some of these patterns had very good depth and realistic profiles.

saltydog
02-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Tube Fly, heres one I coppied from Rich, last season. NOT as good as his, I added some color on the side an black on top.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

James Jon
02-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks Salty.

What kind of eye did you use?

saltydog
02-11-2003, 12:02 PM
James, that one is MOLDED
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin: