Interesting Stats for Wash State Steelhead. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Interesting Stats for Wash State Steelhead.

fredaevans
02-09-2003, 08:02 AM
http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/hat/escape/escape.htm

Appears the numbers are updated weekly.
fae

flytyer
02-11-2003, 12:41 AM
Fred,

They are updated every second week. And they only include hatchery fish that have returned to the rearing area from whence they were released.

kjackson
02-11-2003, 02:27 PM
I liked this well enough to bookmark it. There were some surprises that might lead to some good steelheading... like the nearby Quilcene, which is a catch and release stream for everything but coho. This little river appears to have a pretty good run of federal fish. It probably has little in the way of pressure, too. Hmmm.

Now, Fred, I owe you two.

Keith

fredaevans
02-11-2003, 02:29 PM
:D

Actually I thought the site was interesting to follow, and good update above as the numbers apparently represent hatchery fish. "Wild fish" would/should be above those numbers. But you're going to turn them all loose anyway.
fae

DEERHAAWK
02-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Fred,
Thanks, good info like this is always a plus! I've bookmarked it to my Fly-Tech file:D
Deerhawk

flytyer
02-12-2003, 01:06 AM
Kjackson,

The Quilcene is anything but deserted during the coho run. It is an absolute zoo because the folks from Bremerton and Tacoma go up and fish it. You will be lucky to find a place to make a cast unless you go mid-week, and even then it is fairly crowded. It is a small river that only has a short section opened to angling. If you go this fall, good luck to you. I'd go fish the Elwha or Sol Duc instead even though they are longer drives.

kjackson
02-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Flytyer-- I agree that the coho fishery on the Quil is anything but lonesome. I fished there once and will not return (the bay, however, is another matter). The appeal to the Quil is that it's a 40 minute drive from the old hacienda while the Elwha is an hour and fifteen with the Duc another half hour beyond that.

I feel like I can sneak out to the Quil on the spur of the moment but the other two streams require a trip. And since the Quil usually is fairly clear, it's possible to spot fish s well as watch the way your fly works.

I'm also giving serious thought to taking my boat and fishing the estuary area. I've not been to the mouth from the bay, but I imagine it will be something one can only fish on a high tide.

flytyer
02-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Kjackson, hadn't thought of fishing the Quill's bay at the mouth for coho. If the canal is open for coho next year, I would thing that fishing could be grand. The canal has been closed quite often the last few years when the coho are in though.

kjackson
02-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Flytyer-- Quilcene bay traditionally open early for a coho fishery. This past year, the opening was August 16. Catching the run can be kind of spotty because of timing. But when you hit it right, it's a hoot. It's a great place for a small boat since most of the fishing is within a mile or so of the launch-- some is even within 50 yards.

The bad news is that it's almost as popular as the river, and most folks are either trolling herring or jigging. The chum, which are closed, are there in huge numbers also. And if the salmon are non-biters (frequently the case), there is some great searun fishing in the Canal.

Keith

flytyer
02-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Kjackson,

And if the Quill's bay is full of boats, just down the canal a little way are some other very good cutthroat bays, which I am also sure you know about.