Tying Clave---important Notice!!!!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tying Clave---important Notice!!!!!

striblue
02-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Juro, just called me on the way back from Newport and can easily schedule the tying Clave for next weekend..At the Best Western in Waltham. There are two room pssibilities which he will post in greater detail later tonight... if we can get 30 guys the cost is really minimal and in one scenerio lunch could be included... Again I will let Juro provide the details.. so it is either Saturday February 15 or Sunday ,February 16... PLEASE POST HERE WHICH DAY YOU COULD MAKE.....also if you can make either day...If we don't do this soon,we will lose the rates... also things are booking up for other things,,Seattle, Mass Striper Bass, Willmington, casting Clave, etc... also April would be the only time and we both thought that would probably not be good with increased spring weekend schedules etc... SO...SIGN UP NOW FOR A FULL DAY.

juro
02-08-2003, 08:49 PM
It's crazy, but so are we. If we do it next weekend:

1) it's bound to be cold and nasty - which is good
2) it won't conflict with other events
3) we get the cheapo rates for a really nice digs
4) it's all day and we can fill a fly box each I'm sure
5) we won't have another change until April, but it will have to be elsewhere

Details:

The less fancy room is $350 for the whole day, so do the math. 35 people and it's $10 each. The number of people reduce the room cost, and we can easily fit 50 people with room to spare. The room has a great screen and we can have presentations as well as free-tying.

There is a bar and grill right down the hall where we can get lunch, or go to the naked fish next door, walking distance. Or we can have catering, etc. That should work out to short money as well.

Total cost w/ 35 participants = $10 plus your lunch, most likely about $15, so $25 total.

Option #2:

Buy lunch, served in the dining area and the cost per head is $17 plus the room goes down to $150, divided by the number of people. So if we get the same 35 people, it's less than $5 for the room, and $17 for a regular banquet style lunch in the function / dining hall.

Total cost per person with 35 people = about the same.

We get the room for the whole day so we can come up with a cool event schedule. These are nice facilities, corporate conference style, etc.

We might make it our annual tie-in.

The catch:

We have to have a number of committed folks for this weekend or it's pushed out until April.

If you can commit to Sat or Sun, or either, please reply here. Also specify preference for banquet or dutch.

juro
02-08-2003, 08:51 PM
I'll go first:

Either day, either way. Committed to my share.

JimW
02-08-2003, 09:43 PM
This is good news. Put me down for 2 shares on Sunday.

striblue
02-08-2003, 11:19 PM
I am bumping this to the top ...for the morning view. I am good either day.

neac9
02-09-2003, 12:21 AM
hey I cant make it for Sat have work to but Sun. should be good for me
but Ill make a donation to a sat event if I can score some choice Flies from the event :D

juro
02-09-2003, 05:25 AM
Here's what I suggest for a contest:

Everyone will put at least one fly into the prize pot. I will put in 4-6. The prize pot will be split into a door prize and raffle. Each purchased ticket will be eligible for the raffle but you must attend for the door prize drawing. Raffle tickets do not require attendance and can be purchased on-line, only the door prize requires being there.

Also:

I am contacting some pro tyers to pop in. If you are buddies with any of the great tyers in our area, drop them a line they are more than welcome as our guests. If any of you are reading this feel free to chime in :)

Thoughts on lunch:

Pizzaria Uno's has a special where if we do our lunch party there they donate 10% to the club. About a mile away.

Blue Ribbon Barbeque has incredible authentic barbeque catering and I believe they will deliver to the premesis. With enough headcount it will be short $ for big eats, best barbeque north of Nashville.

Naked Fish next door, walk over.

In house pub and grill, or the banquet arrangement we talked about.

Additional event possibilities:

If possible we might invite Boy Scouts to come knock off some of their merit badge requirements, worth investigating.

If we get the big room $450 we could put aside a kids tying section, take shifts teaching, and let families attend free. This will bump up the price a little but give us the room to let everyone attend free in your immediate family (girlfriends & fiances included).

There will be a short presentation to kick things off. We should do pattern walk-thrus with someone tying on the projector. This is good practice to work out the kinks for the Seattle show the following weekend.

Comments, suggestions, offers welcome.

Slinger
02-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Count me in. I`ll be there either day, but Sun. is better.
Slinger

seuss
02-09-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm in. Either day, either way.

Saturday if I had a choice.

Food onsite sounds preferable, for simplicity's sake.

Per one of our great orators Homer Simpson, "mmmmmmMMMMMMM....Baaaarrrrrbeque".

FredA
02-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Not lookin good for me. Nephew's birthday Saturday and I need to knock off a chore or two Sunday.

MarkDoogue
02-09-2003, 12:59 PM
What times during the day are we talking?

I may be available both days.

juro
02-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Mark -

These rentals are full day rentals. If we go formal (schedule wise) the details will be posted.

Sorry to suggest this so close to your tying invitational, but John and I thought it over and this was the only shot before April.

Roop
02-09-2003, 03:37 PM
I'll buy a seat for either day but, Sunday wrks best for me.

Broadbill
02-09-2003, 03:46 PM
I didn't jump in on Juro's earlier post, but count me in. Preference for Sunday but good for either day.

Jay

Adrian
02-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Count me in - I can make the trip for either day.

juro
02-09-2003, 04:05 PM
That's ten people by my count, things should jump upward tomorrow when people check in from work ;)

Ideally we could get it into the 30's or higher despite the short notice to make the venture another super-cheap yet super-fun event.

Currently $35 per head and dropping... we should set a minimum level at say 30 people maybe?

If 30 people: $12 per head, meal extra or $23 inclusive

If 35: $10/each + meal or $21.25 inclusive

if 40: $8.75 each + meal or $20.75 inclusive, etc

If we go over 40, we'll bump up the room to a larger room or the grand ball room (HUGE) which can probably take up to 100 people. Cost is only marginally more (about 2.50 each more) if we have over 40 people.

At some point we can probably negotiate the room free if we have enough banqueters.

Anyway, please reply here if you can commit.

MarkDoogue
02-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Juro, no worries on the proximity of the Waltham tying extravaganza to my Bro's proposed tying event.

Originally he had spoken to me about inviting Jeff Borkowski and Sean McDermott over my house to tie some flies in the basement. Suddenly things went from four guys in the basement of my ranch to renting a space. I just want to learn to tie so it really doesn't matter where or when all this happens. I'm sure the four of us may still get together some time soon, on top of the Waltham clave.

CSJ60
02-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Count me in Sat. or Sun. ... Blue Ribbon Q gets my vote.

ssully
02-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Have fun guys.

Smcdermott
02-09-2003, 07:35 PM
I am going to have to pass on this one. Have plans with the "Mrs". Have fun guys.

Sean

juro
02-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ssully

Have fun guys.

Sully -

Havent' heard from you in a while... is the Joppa gang doing Stony Brook this year?

striblue
02-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Sean.. sent you an e-mail on Stony Brook? Any update... Do you have a date set yet or is it on at all?

FishHawk
02-10-2003, 04:59 AM
Will be out of town can't make it. Wish I could.
FishHawk:(

John Desjardins
02-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Unfortunately family events & problems rule out next weekend. :(

BigDave
02-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Any ideas on what time we would get started?

juro
02-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Sully -

Per the post, this is the only weekend I will have until April. If Stony Brk is going to be in April, then I would love to participate. Please keep us posted.

Sean McD -

Priorities! Well you have them straight. Well, you could always bring her! :)

Dave -

It would run all day. If we actually go formal with a schedule of events, I will post it no later than Wednesday, otherwise we should consider it a full day of tying w/ friends. More to come.

John -

Sorry to hear about that... I received something in the PO Box today, NICE! I need to know how you got that printed... is that some special equipment you have access to?

Mark -

Were your plans for this same weekend? If so, is this an acceptable alternative? Let me know if I should count you guys in.

Fishhawk -

Sorry to hear that you will miss this one. Hopefully there will be more this winter.

Dble Haul
02-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Bad timing for me...we have two students testing for their black belts over the course of the weekend. I kinda have to be there.

Have fun, and if you have any prototypes that need testing I'll be a willing participant. It's the least I can do. :)

DFix
02-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Unavailable.

Quentin
02-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Sunday would work for me. Either plan is ok.

Couple questions: Will we have access to the pool? If so, is there enough room for a back cast? :devil:

Q

juro
02-10-2003, 03:34 PM
13... keep 'em coming...

Q - yes there is an indoor pool. That's all I will say. :devil:

doogue
02-10-2003, 08:32 PM
I am out.

My wife's comment before I even hinted at wanting to go was something like:

"What a lame weekend for planning a tying clave. Any weekend other than Valentine's Day weekend would have been better."

She meant no offense of course!

So, she and I will continue on the hot and steamy road of bathroom renovation this weekend. That is what she wants to do...

If she finds me attractive rather than scary at moments like this (note pic with saw) then I found the right woman for sure....

At least I will be wearing my Nauset Angler shirt.

Have fun.

http://home.attbi.com/~mcdoogue/Our_First_House_Site/Images/Second_Floor_Landing/Guest_Bath_TR_Mike_Saw.jpg

striblue
02-10-2003, 10:41 PM
"OH HONEY...... I'M HOME!!!!!! :)

FredA
02-11-2003, 06:25 AM
Ahh, my favorite finish carpentry tool!

RayStachelek
02-11-2003, 09:06 AM
This weekend would be out of the question.
My son is leaving for three weeks on a student exchange program and this would be his last weekend home.

MarkDoogue
02-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Ahhhh....the difference between newlywed Doogues and Doogues that are going on seven years of wedded bliss.........I'm in for at least part of Sunday if that's the day chosen.

JimW
02-12-2003, 11:22 AM
So, what's up with this? Are we still on, or bailing out due to the low turnout?

juro
02-12-2003, 07:56 PM
It's about 9pm EST Wednesday, and with such short notice it appears we will not have enough interest to bring this to a reasonable cost per person.

With my schedule I am plugged up until April, but I hope someone pulls together a tying get together to get thru this *&^%$#@** winter.

I'd keep an eye open for Sully's gathering up in the Stony Brook club too.

If there is a sudden surge of interest, I will call the events coordinator who I am sure is not too busy on weekends so will let us in on short notive - but at this point it looks like it's off this weekend.

JimW
02-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Possible Plan-B
----------------------
I think I can get a church hall in Abington, MA for ~$100. Plenty of tables and chairs; room for around 40.
Sunday 2/16/03
Noon - 6pm
$10/ attendee anything over the $100 goes to the forum.
Not fancy, maybe not even very well lit - (hint,bring a lamp) but dry and warm. A little closer to our CT members and best of all cheap. Bring what ever you want to eat & drink (no alchohol) or we order something

This is Not Solid yet -
I'm waiting for a call back to confirm availability and firm up the price but let's have a show of hands on who's in. If you responded that you would attend previously in this thread it would be helpful if you respond yes or no to this plan-B.

Thanks.

Adrian
02-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Jim

Great Job!

I am up for this - especially since its a bit closer to CT.

MarkDoogue
02-13-2003, 09:53 PM
It's closer to home for me, I'm game.

JimW
02-14-2003, 07:28 AM
That's 3: Adrian, Mark and myself.

John, Juro, Neac9, Steve, Roop, Seuss, Broadbill, CSJ60, Quentin, BigDave.
How about it guys, still interested? I've got to comit ~7pm Friday.

BigDave
02-14-2003, 08:12 AM
I'm not going to be able to make it, guys. The call of the mountains beckons with the great ski conditions this year.

Maybe next time :)

Roop
02-14-2003, 08:33 AM
I'm in if it helps.

Roop

juro
02-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Waiting for a response from a family member, I am tentatively in until late afternoon / dinner appt. Will update today.

striblue
02-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Well... I think I can...I will have to let you know tonight.. the drive was easier for me in the other location, but I certainly think I can make it.

Quentin
02-14-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm out, sorry. If the raffle part of the deal is still on I'd be happy to donate my $10 for a chance at the prize!

Q

CSJ60
02-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Sorry, can't make plan B... made plans to visit my Mom and Dad after original plans were cancelled.

Broadbill
02-14-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm still in. Keep us posted.

JimW
02-14-2003, 06:16 PM
We're IN for Sunday at Noon! I'll post a new thread with the details.
Here's the new thread (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?threadid=9775)