Small flatwing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Small flatwing

saltydog
02-08-2003, 01:04 PM
O.K. a guy in N.J. wanted to swap me for some of my sandeel flatwings BUT he wanted 3-4" ones, so here it is. 4'' from hook EYE to TIP of TAIL. GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

joe wojtan
02-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by saltydog
O.K. a guy in N.J. wanted to swap me for some of my sandeel flatwings BUT he wanted 3-4" ones, so here it is. 4'' from hook EYE to TIP of TAIL. GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

Salty
Love it, nice job, also love the size of your picture get to see more detail.
Joe

saltydog
02-08-2003, 04:18 PM
JOE, it's bit out of focus I hand held the camera! I found out how to post bigger, My photo program has a compresion feature, an I never new how to use it, Im still learning, but will get better pic's soon. 'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

rel1
02-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by saltydog
O.K. a guy in N.J. wanted to swap me for some of my sandeel flatwings BUT he wanted 3-4" ones, so here it is. 4'' from hook EYE to TIP of TAIL. GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin: Great sandeel. If my eyes aren't deceiving me it looks like everything is tied in at the hook eye- amI right? Ron

striblue
02-08-2003, 06:40 PM
What a nice delicate looking fly.... good job Rich!

saltydog
02-10-2003, 06:07 PM
REL1, the tie was started just above the TIP of the hook an worked foward,like outher flatwings. hope that helps.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

rel1
02-11-2003, 06:15 AM
Yes, it does help- from the picture it was hard to tell if the lower 2 feathers were tied in above the point or not.
I've been tying glass minnows with the feather tieed flat at the hook eye to maintain a reasonable length. The throat is anything handy-bucktail, arctic fox or calftail. Over the feather I add a sparse amount of bucktail generally to compliment the feather. Add JC eyes and toss into the water-when it becomes soft again. Can't wait!!! Ron