Defining the moderator role [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Defining the moderator role

juro
02-07-2003, 11:54 PM
It's about time we put a solid definition to the title "moderator" as the new year gets underway. Also, I will try to figure out how we will collectively say thanks to the moderator for these said services. I'd like to discuss this with all to help me decide how best to approach this.

Roles and responsibilities:

A moderator should put himself on email notification for posts made in his board, or at least check it regularly enough each day so he/she doesn't need to. If something occurs needing his attention, it should not be long before it's picked up.

Slow periods should be 'livened up' by the moderator. If no one is posting, put out something interesting to keep the dialog going on the respective board.

Spam should be addressed in a manner like this: on the first incident, write the business a courteous explanation of the ground rules. Edit out links (remove the http) and promote the benefits of becoming a true sponsor, or forward to myself or another who will do same. On the second, move the post to a holding area and let the business know we simply can't allow it out of respect to our real sponsors.

In general, the moderator is someone that provides his or her persona to the board, a reporter or a talk show host, whatever works for you. No hard fast rules, ad lib and fun.

No promises but as staff members of the forum, I presume moderators will be rewarded with flies, boat rides, maybe even a sponsor's discount or something. We need to work that out.

Anyway, we will be starting with a clean slate for the rest of 2003. If you are interested, please announce your candidacy here. If you have comments, observations or requests, post them here too.

thanks in advance for your help

SDHflyfisher
02-08-2003, 02:11 PM
are there any qualifications one needs to be a moderator?

moosestang
02-08-2003, 04:55 PM
I could take a shot(cast) at being a moderater

Dble Haul
02-08-2003, 06:10 PM
I have a few people in mind who would be qualified to act as moderator in some of the forums here currently without one. Would you like a PM, or would it be a good idea to just openly nominate some folks?

juro
02-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Whichever is more comfortable for the person suggesting or volunteering; open nominations are cool as are pm's. Keep the suggestions and offers coming, and thanks in advance.

striblue
02-09-2003, 12:20 AM
I would hope to stay with my assignments...so this is a self nomination.

juro
02-09-2003, 06:38 AM
I forgot to mention:

Member spam, that is when a member provides a direct plug and link to a non-sponsor business. Our policy is and has always been that the member must:

follow up to the promoted business with an email, CC: sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com, expounding the virtues of supporting his/her community in his/her own words.

This will then be followed up by the moderator and/or I or Dana to explain the details.

It will be up to the moderator to kindly enforce this in a friendly and upbeat manner for his/her category.

If the sponsorship succeeds, we'll have to get a nice thank you award for the member and will have add'l funding support to run the site and award the moderator for the year's efforts, etc. We also do right by our existing sponsors by not permitting non-sponsor businesses to benefit from the community they help sustain. Win/win/win if you ask me.

Bottom line: moderators must hold this policy.

Eddie
02-09-2003, 05:01 PM
I would be happy to continue my role as a moderator. Having said that, if someone else would like to do it, I don't want to hog that spot.
"Member spam" as it has been called, is usually offerd as a direct answer to a question, or friendly advice. Hardly my definition of spam. Should we take this to mean that ALL comercially available products and services recomended should get the sponsor request? From Walmart to Varvias. From Gudebrod to The Squire? I am sometimes confused as to when it is ok. to recomend specific products or services. Am I the only one?

juro
02-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Good question, although it's been discussed often. The above suggestion was that moderators should "edit out the http", not the site name itself. How about if members start by not including the "http" or "www" that converts it into a hyperlink? Or Sean could alter the code to not convert into links automatically, but that's more work in an already taxed schedule.

Once again, we never said folks can't promote non-sponsors, we only said that if one does there is an associated responsibility. If the person can not accept that responsibility, then they should not promote - simple as that. If they do, they should feel free to promote away!

Most sites do not permit ANY commercial promotion at all. I consider our policy fairly liberal for a community that subsists on support from sponsors and fund raising activities.

I hope that's clear to all, and thanks for bringing it up Eddie.

pmflyfisher
02-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Eddie,

No, your not, I do not put up any links any more, other than to news services, or conservations groups, government sites , perhaps which have an interesting fishing information, none to any product manufacturers, since I really do not know which one of our many sponsors I may be impairing.

BTW, I would like Mr. Fred Evans to continue moderating me, if he declines then Bob K would be the second choice. They are both older and wiser than I, so I don't mind being monitored by them.

Actually I think the board in general is very self monitoring with all of the mature and experienced fly fisherman and and fly fishing ladies on the board.

PM Out

Eddie
02-09-2003, 11:04 PM
ok., no links. fair enough, and easy to understand.

Dana
02-10-2003, 01:40 AM
Juro is quite right about the fact that very few sites are as liberal with their non-sponsor promotion. We hope that our approach 1) keeps the free flow of information happening that has made us unique, and 2) encourages manufacturers, retailers and others to support us through advertising. With a few exceptions this approach has served everyone very well: members value the forum we provide and support our advertisers, and sponsors value the business and positive exposure they receive by supporting the site. Everyone wins!

Eddie
02-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Dana, I don't think I have "permission" to use the edit function. Is there a way to activate this "power"?. Thanks, Eddie. I would PM all this, but my box is empty and still bounceing PMs.

SDHflyfisher
02-10-2003, 04:32 PM
well since no one answered my ? i'll nominate myself for the trout flies section which has no moderator (i think)

flytyer
02-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Juro,

I'd like to moderate the steelhead and salmon fly forum. I don't have time to do anymore than one and this is the one that I can use my knowledge of flies, materials, and tying techniques most effectively.

NrthFrk16
02-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Juro-
I second flytyer's nomination!

...now we all know who is one the tackle/gear expert around.... :hehe: ;)

speybum
02-11-2003, 06:16 AM
I think that flytyer would make great moderator.
:smokin:

John Desjardins
02-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Please accept my volunteering for however I can help out.

juro
02-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks all this is great feedback, keep 'em coming!

Dble Haul
02-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Bringing some of Dave Fix's points to light from another thread, with his permission.....
-----------
IMO -

Several important things to consider regarding moderating any level of interaction amongst participants:

Initial subject matter
Creation of framework of discussion
Facilitating discussion
Developing group and participation
Managing content

Further finite management as necessary.

Dble Haul
02-12-2003, 10:52 AM
And here's my response to Dave from that same thread....

----------------

I have to say that your brief outline touches on some important areas, and I especially believe that the third (facilitating discussion) and fourth (developing group and participation) are the most important. The others kind of work themselves out around here, seeing as people are here seeking out or sharing specific info and flaming threads are very rare.

Without speaking on behalf of my role as a moderator, I'd like to say that the others do a fine job. There are peaks and valleys (i.e., how many warmwater threads will there be in the winter time), but in the long run more folks will participate and each individual board will receive more traffic (ideally even in the slow months). As this happens, the facilitation and development will also swell a bit in kind.

The striper and steelhead contigencies of this Forum are huge. Developing the boards with less traffic will take time, but can be hastened by pulling the lurkers from the woodwork. We need to continually promote the sharing of ideas and knowledge.....this is what makes everyone better, and what will keep this site growing.

Knowledge is power, right?

sinktip
02-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Having co-moderated the PNW Steelhead forum for almost two years now has been a pleasure. I believe I have had to inact the edit feature only 6 times and 2-3 of those were just to keep the wording in the PG-13 range.

I would love to say that I take the job so seriously that I make sure I check the forum 3-4 times a day but to be truthful, I check it that many times just to see what is going on :)

I am cool continuing but since I have had it already, if in Juro and the members wisdom that it is time to share the wealth, I am equally cool with that.

Let me know how I can help out the site as I certainly owe it for the pleasure it brings me on a daily basis.

sinktip

juro
03-06-2003, 07:10 AM
Just a bump to keep this topic high on the list... we will be clearing and resetting our moderators by Q2 2003.

thanks!

Steelheader69
03-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Sent you a PM, but I'm still game for the Inflatable's section, since it's my forte. LOL.

Leland Miyawaki
03-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Oh what the hell. I'll do the pacific salmon. I thought you were going to rename it cohofly.com

Leland.

juro
03-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Keep 'em coming! Sean and I discussed the candidates for 2003 last night by phone and we are close to the quorum for new moderators.

A very heartfelt thank you to all who volunteered, were volunteered, or already accepted!

FrenchCreek
03-07-2003, 11:46 AM
I will gladly relinquish my role, so anyone out there should feel free to "volunteer or be volunteered/nominated/self-nominate"

Nick
03-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Juro,
If you need help moderating the site at all; I'm more than willing to do so. You know where my knowledge of fishing lies; and it ain't fresh. Any other odd jobs that you or Sean need help with; more than willing to do that as well.

Nick

Bob Pauli
03-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Juro,
It would help me if the sponsorship address were in a handy location, perhaps a button or ...?

juro
03-18-2003, 05:56 AM
Thanks all! Now that the show is wrapped up I will be ringing in the new term of Moderators, some staying on and some moving on.

We should all extend our gratitude to them and in the year to come things are going to change a lot so stay tuned!

A list of moderators is being finalized by contacting the volunteers. Some responses are not in yet. When this list is complete it will be posted.

juro
03-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Looking for volunteers or nominations for:

- Environment
- (new) Power Squadron
- Bluewater Flyfishing

Let's get this wrapped up for April 1st!

SDHflyfisher
03-19-2003, 04:41 PM
what is the power squadron?

Hawkeye
03-19-2003, 06:47 PM
my guess is that would be the proposed powerboat forum.

juro
03-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Oops sorry, not the official name - just a generalization based on the United States Power Squadron which is a NP org aimed at boating safety and enthusiasm.

Haven't thought of the thread name yet, how about "Flyfishing Boats" or something right to the point, or "Break out another thousand (B.O.A.T.)" :hehe:

bcasey
03-21-2003, 07:57 AM
My hat's in the ring for the boating forum!Now who's gonna join me?

admin
03-21-2003, 08:34 AM
Thank you bcasey!

This is a new board for us since many members appear to have picked up boats over the winter. It would be good to have a place to discuss stuff as topics come up, and they're bound to come up (as much as we love boats they crave attention). All newbie questions are as welcome as sage advice.

We'll also benefit from the high percentage of knowledgable sponsors who are boat owners in this forum.

extmtbiker
03-23-2003, 11:58 AM
I would also take a position as a moderator.