Preparing for May, Circle hooks? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Preparing for May, Circle hooks?

broche
02-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Greetings to all!

I've been organizing my equipment and getting ready for the arrival of our migratory friends. I have been refining some old patterns and I'm getting ready to sit down and start tying. I love the Polar Fibre and noticed that is is often used with circle hooks and I'm thinking about adopting this style. I tied a couple and "fished" them in the bathtub to make sure they swim upright. I love the shape of the hooks because they seem virtually impossible to foul. I've also done some research on the use of circle hooks (ironically, they were first used by longliners) and found they drastically reduce mortality rates in released fish. I remember someone posted a thread on circle hooks many months ago, but I don't recall the content. Has anyone flyfished with circle hooks, and if so, what has been the experience? I understand that setting the hook is a no-no in this instance. Thanks in advance for your feedback on this matter! May is right around the corner, so get ready!

Bill

fredaevans
02-07-2003, 12:32 PM
click on the search button above and type in circle hooks. You'll get a considerable number of 'hits' on the subject. Including using them with tube flys.
fae

broche
02-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Thanks Fred. I looked up the information posted earlier. There are some conflicting reports, but I think I'll give circle hooks a try for 2003. Deep hooking stripers with flies tied on conventional hooks does not happen very often, but I love the shape of the circle hooks in that they seem less prone to fouling. Just as long as I'm not missing more strikes and the circle hooks stay out of the gills, I'll continue to use them. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Bill

Roop
02-09-2003, 06:24 PM
After my experience in Harkers fishing for false albacore using the Varivas and Mustad semi-circle hooks, I bought a gross of Varivas hooks this winter. Just need to find time to tis some flies.

The reason being, all fish were hooked in the corner of the mouth regardlessof either setting the hook or having the fish hit it and set it themself.

Just my $.02

DFix
02-10-2003, 11:09 AM
The use of hook styles came up on another board recently. I have and have used Varivas as well, and report in as another very satisfied customer.

flyfisha1
02-12-2003, 07:40 PM
... dressed as a pinfish, landed a smallish black tip reef shark this week, hooked right in the corner of the mouth. Made it quite easy to remove the hook without stressing her (it was a small female) and without placing my hands in danger of being bitten. That cinched it for me: circle hooks from now on. Beautiful fish, by the way.