Fly Poster question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Poster question

John Desjardins
02-06-2003, 11:07 AM
After having a poster of the Trout, Salmon and Char of North America in a tube for longer than I care to admit I recently got it mounted framed and hung in front of my office pc. Now all those trout look hungry with no bugs to eat so does anyone know of a poster that identifies the common fly hatches we try to match?

SDHflyfisher
02-06-2003, 05:22 PM
you could probably go to some copying store and have one blown up from a book

John Desjardins
02-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks Sean, that's a possibility I had'nt thought of.

Quentin
02-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Well, your scans are good enough that you could make a poster of your own creations, or you could do even a shadowbox with the actual flies!

Q

pmflyfisher
02-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Yes those scans are excellent I have to get another scanner the other two were broken by my teenage sons. :mad:

I don't think I have seen such a poster outside of a book picture.

Do some net searchs I can find just about anything out there if it exists.

PM Out

BobK
02-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Check out some better books on fly patterns for color plates of flies. They usually have some EXCELLENT quality color images. Then these could be blown up and reproduced.

If you can find an original of "Trout" by Ray Bergman, there were some excellent color plates of "classic" flies, many you don't even hear about. They were painted by an artist, and were very good. I have a newer paper-back edition of this old book; it was a classic.

BobK:D

John Desjardins
02-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards scanning some entemology books to make a montage of species of insects.

Bob I agree about Bergmans trout, I've got the paperback as well.

moosestang
02-07-2003, 10:45 PM
If you are looking for the actual insects try a university bug science department I'll bet they have great pics!!!

FlyMan
02-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by SDHflyfisher
you could probably go to some copying store and have one blown up from a book

Please have the courtesy of respecting the copyrights of the owners of the images and content in books and magazines. If you want to copy/scan their work, get permission from the publisher/owner before doing so.

SDHflyfisher
02-08-2003, 01:53 PM
good point

wannabespeyboy
02-09-2003, 01:23 AM
John,

Check this site out;

http://www.anglingart.com/flies.html

cohocola
02-09-2003, 02:46 AM
"Poster of the Trout, Salmon and Char of North America"

I love that poster :D

I would love to see a poster of warm water pan fish too...
Bluegills, Rock Bass, ect... :cool:

"wannabespeyboy Great link. Thanks for sharing it."

John Desjardins
02-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Wannabespeyboy, please help the forum out and send the folks at your link an email, CC: sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com, expounding the virtues of supporting the community.

CohoCola; I wanted the poster on the wall of my kids nursery and got shot down by mommy to be. Something about "He's not born yet and your trying to brainwash him". :hehe: It just took a while for me to get it up.

Flyman, Agreed on the copyright issues. the cost for a single copy, poster in 4 colors gets expensive too.

SDHflyfisher
02-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by cohocola
"Poster of the Trout, Salmon and Char of North America"

I love that poster :D

I would love to see a poster of warm water pan fish too...
Bluegills, Rock Bass, ect... :cool:

"wannabespeyboy Great link. Thanks for sharing it."

i've got both the trout and the panfish poster i also have an old beer poster with the fish in the great lakes