Wading Concerns [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wading Concerns

striblue
07-31-2001, 09:56 AM
I just read a post on another board from Tony S.,out of Orleans who does a lot of Night fishing at the Nauset inlet. He is very experienced and reported two sharks in the wash going after his hooked striper.. They hightailed it out of the area with the fish and he had to break it off... 40 pound tippet... Got me thinking... wade alot but ....seals.... etc. He indicated that this was a new sight for him under the circumstances...I take his reports seriously.

tomd
07-31-2001, 08:20 PM
YIKES!!! geeze John, better order those kevlar waders! ;) that is really a freaky thought, sharks in the wash... glad I use lighter tippet, easy to break off if I see one of them coming in.
Tom D

juro
07-31-2001, 08:37 PM
Steve Moore also talks about sharks chowing stripers in the wash at night, making two super knowledgable anglers with concerns about the toothy predator "invading their space".

MAN! I'd hesitate from wading deep in open ocean shorelines at night. I don't fish at night all that often, although I've had some great nights flyfishing I love to sight fish and even when you can't do that I love to fish in rip currents and I like both better in the day.

That being said, I remember the day I took my son fishing at night when he was young. It was one of those beautiful nights with a light breeze, quarter moon and stars bright, calm lazy waves and lots of fish on the hunt. On the way home he said it was the first time he felt really comfortable in being out in the black of night.

I hope no one gets too comfortable out there!

shadfreak
08-01-2001, 07:30 AM
For me as the song goes "Night-time is the Right Time" :D
I love the night it's always been the time that I want to be doing most anything.
Larry soon to known as shark bait ;)