February Quiz Question ---#2 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: February Quiz Question ---#2

striblue
02-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Name the Author AND Book.... " The Fish was coming up looking as long and as brown as a big log in the water, David was watching him and glancing up at his rod tip to make sure it was not fouled. For the first time in six hours he had no strain on his back and his arms and legs and Thomas Hudson saw the muscles in his legs twitching and quivering. Eddy was bending over the side with a gaff and Roger was lifting slowly and steadily. 'He'd go over a thousand?' Roger asked. 'Not yet,' Eddy said. 'Keep him coming easy,easy.' Roger kept lifting on the wire cable and the great fish rose steadily toward the boat. 'It's been cutting.' Eddy said. "it's just holding by nothing.'...'Can you reach him now?' Roger asked. His tone had not changed..... 'Not quite yet,' Eddy said as quietly. Roger was lifting as gently and as softly as he could. Then, from lifting, he straightened, all strain gone, holding the slack leader in his two hands. 'No. No. No. Please God, No". young Tom said. Eddy lunged down into the water with the gaff and then went overboard to try to get the gaff into the fish if he could reach him.... It was no good. The Great fish hung there in the depth of water where he was like a huge dark purple bird and then settled slowly. They all watched him go down, getting smaller and smaller until he was out of sight."

MarkDoogue
02-04-2003, 10:00 PM
John, I submitted my answer via PM.:D

striblue
02-04-2003, 11:28 PM
..... and you were right...see if anybody else can get it...

Quentin
02-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Well, it's not "Old Man and the Sea." Santiago was all alone in that boat! :hehe:

Adrian
02-05-2003, 04:55 AM
Zane Grey - Tales of Swordfish and Tuna.

striblue
02-05-2003, 10:15 AM
No to both of you...but Q is 1/2 right.

Broadbill
02-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Late to the party, but isn't it "Islands in the Stream?"

Papa Hemingway had lost something on his fastball by then, but I still would have liked to go fishing with him.

striblue
02-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Yes, Jay ..You are correct...I will have to make them harder.