Season start date [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Season start date

RTF
02-03-2003, 06:26 PM
When does your trout season open in your state ? Our state wide date is April 1st for all waters .

BobK
02-03-2003, 06:54 PM
In this part of NY (tribs nearby), the season is YEAR ROUND, with special regs for ghe Great Lakes tribs.

In fact, I was out today (cold though). It was supposed to get warm, but even by mid afternoon, ice was freezing in the rod guides. I didn't bring anything for it, because it was supposed to be warmer. Oh, well, sure beats work!

BobK

paul yochim
02-03-2003, 07:46 PM
In Wisconsin, the early season opens on March 1. It closes for the last week in April before the opening of the regular season. In Minnesota, the winter season opens January 1. I think that the regular season opens about the middle of April. In Iowa, the season is open year-round. I generally don't start fishing until the beginning of March. When it is so cold, the window of opportunity is narrow.

RTF
02-04-2003, 05:37 AM
BobK, I have plenty of trout water open now too that I could fish. Otsego lake, Arnolds lake and Goodyear lake just to name a few. But all trout streams and rivers in this area are closed. Not sure about the West Branch of Deleware and it's tribs as they are a drive away.

John Desjardins
02-04-2003, 09:42 AM
In Massachussetts the season never closes on 98% of waters. A couple of water supply reservoirs are the only places that have a closed season.

Just me
02-04-2003, 01:03 PM
In Washington State the General opener is the last Saturday in April Some lakes on the Eastern side of the state open on the 1st of March. And some are open all year long.

Jim

SDHflyfisher
02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by paul yochim
In Wisconsin, the early season opens on March 1. It closes for the last week in April before the opening of the regular season. In Minnesota, the winter season opens January 1. I think that the regular season opens about the middle of April. In Iowa, the season is open year-round. I generally don't start fishing until the beginning of March. When it is so cold, the window of opportunity is narrow.

it is pretty cold out but there have been a few nice days to go FF i found a a place around here that is open now

BobK
02-05-2003, 08:03 AM
Yellowstone NP has THREE opening dates. For most streams, the
"general" opener on the Saturday of Memorial day weekend,
the Cutthroat spawning rivers/streams on July 15th, and a couple of streams restricted by bear activity, which open August 11th (Clear and Cub Creeks).

Fishing Yellowstone is a great experience. Fishing and camping with companions who are live near Yellowstone and know it well is an OUTSTANDING experience!

BobK

danmcmartin
03-01-2003, 12:37 AM
In Nevada, our rivers our open 365 days a year and our bars are open 24 hours a day:D

BobK
03-01-2003, 08:23 AM
You also forgot to mention, "...and where men are men and women are damn glad of it!"

BobK

pmflyfisher
03-02-2003, 12:34 PM
In GLs country all rivers which are tribs of the GLs are open all year except for nursery head waters. But essentially most of the river is open for andramous and resident trout and salmonid species. The head waters and other trout rivers that are not connected to a GL trig. normally are closed from October until March or April depending upon the state.

Need to check the each states fishing regulations out here since they vary by state, river, and season.

PM Out

DEERHAAWK
03-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Good afternoon,
Trout starts vary from area to area, river to river, stream to stream. Lake's are open year round for the most part, rivers and stream's are generaly from as early as Aril 26 to May 24. Our 2003 ODFW Fishing Reg. "Book" has 102 page's, and I hear there is an BS Degree for understanding that you can take:hehe: You know what BS stand's for, right?:chuckle: :hehe: :whoa: :p
I spend hours in Jan. putting together my Oregon trip itinarary to make sure that I can fish when I get to a specific spot.
Deerhawk

SDHflyfisher
03-03-2003, 05:02 PM
i went out on opening day and did pretty good 7 or 8 browns and 1 brookie