Old Magazine searches... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Old Magazine searches...

Moonlight
02-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Quite some time ago there was an article in one of the "Big Three"(Field&Stream,Outdoor Life,Sports Afield) about a Russian Nobleman who basicly owned an Atlantic Salmon River
The river was the Arroy and the area the old man owned was called "The Steeple-chase" . It was a boardwalk built on pilings and looked like a disaster waiting to happen the waters below the boards were raging foamy rapids with no place to wade or stand other than these catwalks.
The Arroy as I recall was a big fish river with many over 40# and some even 60# plus. Landing these fish must have been a real test of skill and brute force with heavy tackle.
The chosen Tackle were Bamboo Spey Rods 17' or longer with Hardy reels that looked more like winches. I recall this article as being the first time I had scene or heard of such a formidable class of Fly fishing equipment.
The fellow who wrote the article was not allowed to fish for the Salmon but was pemitted to fish in the estuary for sea run Browns that were less than ten pounds.
The article appeared with several Photos of the cat walks and the old man, he was ancient and still was running up and down the boards chasing big Atlantics. Its been well over thirty years maybe forty, but I sure would like to get ahold of those pictures as would all of you.
Any body have a clue as to how to get this done??

pescaphile
02-03-2003, 02:58 PM
If no one responds with any information leading to this article, then perhaps a letter to each of the big three describing, as you did here, what you're looking for?

You might even look at some isuues from the same era and even find out that some of the magazine staff listed back then are still around today.

pescaphile

Poul
02-04-2003, 06:15 PM
"A flyfisher's life" by charles ritz has a fair bit on the aaro and it's platforms, including a picture and 2 diagrams of the platforms - "The great Aaro Steeplechase Course".

I seem to remember a piece by (I think) Ernie Schiewbert called the "platforms of dispair" or something like that. Can't recall if it was in a magazine or a book, and a quick perusal through my personal library didn't turn it up....

Poul

Adrian
02-05-2003, 03:50 AM
I had a similar need last year looking for an old copy of a UK mag. which featured "yours truly" demonstrating an upstream mend on the Teviot at Ancrum back in the early 90s. I eventually located a small outfit based in Wales who specialize in searching our old copies of fishing mags. I will try to find the contact details - or you may get lucky with some web searching.

willmullis
02-05-2003, 09:19 AM
That would be a great idea for a site! I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to get permission to copy those old articles. Maybe Juro would be interested in something like that for the site.

MJC
02-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Moonlight,
I remember something of the article you are searching for. However I no longer have the magazine.
Poul is quite right with his info on Ritz and Schwiebert pretaining to the Arroy.
Nicholas Denissoff was the Russian noble that controlled the river.
Ernest Schwiebert had an article in the "Spring Special" 1977 issue of "Fly Fisherman" magazine called "The Platforms of Despair". It contains a picture of Nicholas Denissoff fighting a large fish on one of the platforms. Also pictures of Denissoff with the his last salmon and a big 2 handed cane rod as well as a picture of one of the platforms and all the white water.
If you are interested in this article send me a PM.

alansand
12-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Any chance you could help me locate this article...I read it in 1977 and it never left me...I still consider it the best fishing article I've read. Thanks!

Geordie Shanks
12-14-2005, 04:45 PM
I came into a box full of fly fisherman and other fly fishing magazines from the 1970's and mid 1980's that a dude gave me when I managed a fly shop a few years back. I've got piles of old fly fishing magazines from that era. If you figure which issue it is, I probably have it and will scare it up for you.

Eric
12-15-2005, 01:35 AM
I seem to think that Ernest Schwiebert put the article into one of his collections (ie, _Remembrances of Rivers Past_); I'll check when I get home. Problem is, the photos won't be included in the book.

It's interesting that so many of us recall this article so vividly. My understanding is that the run on the Arroy has been wiped out by a hydro project.

Cheers,

Eric