Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage 3200 reel...question

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  northwoods 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is a stupid question but...I just picked up a used Sage 3200 and don't know how to remove the spool, anyone out there have a 3000 series reel and can tell me how? Thanks much and great forum!

#2 ·
No such thing as a StupidQuestion!...

I've got a 3500...
If it's the same design...
The knurled knob on the inside of the spool on the crank handle side simply unscrews and the spool is free...
Everytime I check to make certain my rod pieces are seated securely, I also check the tightness of this center screw that secures the spool.
I hope this helps...it's a fine reel a favorite when the False Albies are in town...never a problem...great drag...Sage makes good stuff!

#3 ·
Re: No such thing as a StupidQuestion!...

Hey Penguin, I should have been more specific in that my reel isn't a 3000D series, no drag, it's a click and pawl reel. There is no knurled knob, but it does have a knob on one side with a red dot that I can turn360 degrees with no apparent effect.
I like the reel, can't believe how light it is, I have a 8 1/2' 5 weight sage rod it will be going on. Thanks for your input.

#5 ·
This is a little hard to describe, but you just pull it off. It is held in place with a rubber "O" ring that slots into a ridge. The easiest way to do it is to push from the frame side. Does that help? Ask the shop that sold it to you to show you how to do it.

#6 ·
Eddie said:
This is a little hard to describe, but you just pull it off. It is held in place with a rubber "O" ring that slots into a ridge. The easiest way to do it is to push from the frame side. Does that help? Ask the shop that sold it to you to show you how to do it.
Got it :) , thanks guys! I happened to buy this reel on e-bay for a mere $80 mounted on an off brand 8 weight rod.

#8 ·
Eddie said:
I hope you mistyped eight weight. The reel is best for a four of five weight. A great price, but I think you will be looking for another reel to fit an eight weight line.
I bought the reel and it was on an 8 weight rod. I get the feeling the seller didn't know much about fishing and had mated the two together not knowing any better. When he sold it he simply listed this off brand rod/with reel, and hardly mentioned that the reel was a Sage 3200.
I have a 8 1/2' 5 weight Sage rod that this reel will be going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.