NEW SNOWPACK #'s [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: NEW SNOWPACK #'s

DEERHAAWK
01-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Good evening,
The good news is, we have been having plenty of rain!. The bad news is, we are now at 25% of averag snowpack:mad: Snow was measured today at 37", last year at this time we had well over 150+". We lost 31% of our existing '02,'03 snowpack in January. So far, it is looking like the worst snowpack conditions since '81 for the N. Oregon Cascades.
4 inch rainfalls were recorded in the Coast range at Lee's camp, and in the Cascade foothills at Brightwood in the last 24 hours.
Deerhawk

BigDave
01-31-2003, 08:29 AM
Just the opposite here in New England this year. Higher elevations (where many of the good trout streams happen to be) are well over 150" and it has remained bitterly cold. Great for skiing but I doubt the majority of the freestone rivers in western MA will be fishable until mid-may due to water temps and clarity.

Please note I AM NOT COMPLAINING :hehe:

Anything is better than the drought conditions that caused our freestoners to run dry and the fish to go belly-up last summer.

John Desjardins
01-31-2003, 09:23 AM
For drought info check out the USGS Drought watch (http://water.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/dailyMainW?state=us&map_type=dryw&web_type=map) web site.

I have to agreee with Dave on last summers impact in MA on a number of the streams I fish. Last fall I saw warmwater fish in places I never had see them before. Dave remember the late flows aren't all bad. The streams will be less crowded when the flows settle down.

BigDave
01-31-2003, 09:34 AM
John, you are right. A lot of people drive out to the Westie only to find a torrent of chocolate milk and never come back. All the better for us :devil:

The only problem is when there's this much snowpack - it takes forever to for the water to warm up and the fish and bugs to get active. I'm impatient but agree: much better to have cold water all summer than instant gratification. Hopefully it will be like a couple of years ago when the fishing remained hot until mid-august.

BobK
01-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Want some snow? How about some of ours?

Here in the Northeast, we are on track to break all snowfall records. Over 100" so far this season, and Feb and March are our greatest snowfall months. (The record is 160")

Rochester and Syracuse are running neck-in-neck on this "dubious" distinction, and Buffalo is well behind.

Sure is better than this Fall, when we were suffering from drought. Now all we have to hope for is no serious flooding.

The Tug Hill section of NY (headwaters of the Salmon) is running about double that number - one town had well over 50" in a day!

Yesterday, we had the first day in Jan. without measureable snow. Temps have been hovering around zero for the last couple of weeks, but we are scheduled to have a few days where it warms up into the thirties - I'll have to get out on the streams for steel.

Don't wish for too much - your wish may be granted!

BobK

fredaevans
01-31-2003, 02:57 PM
we're at the point of cutting it pretty thin if the warm weather continues. Understand another major storm is about to go over the top of us this weekend and the freezing levels going to fall.

Fingers crossed!
fae