taxidermist [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: taxidermist

fish-head
01-28-2003, 01:42 PM
I am getting a fish mount done . Has anybody had problems with a taxidermist ? Or any advice on what to look for .Thank's Fish-head

striblue
01-28-2003, 04:53 PM
I have had two done..one a skin mount and the other by a guy named Wally Brown which was bueatiful but not a skin mount..both were striped Bass... the skin mount was cheaper but I had to do a little repair after about 6 years... check with a guy on this forum named "boarmountain" who IS a taxidermist and can probably help you out with your questions.

BobK
01-28-2003, 08:07 PM
Although I don't personally care to have a dead fish hanging on my wall, and much prefer pics of me releasing 'em, to each his own. But why not try a fiberglass mount? The ones I have seen are very lifelike, don't require the maintenance of a true mounted fish, and all you need is some measurements (length and girth), and a few good pics so they get the color right.

Not criticism, just some food for thought. Whatever turns you on!
(I caught my personal best brown in November - a 20 lb. male - and I forgot my @#$%&*$#@ camera! Yeah, I released him - but I pondered it for quite a while!)

BobK:hehe:

fish-head
01-29-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks alot Stri for the info .I am getting a skin mount done . Now I have to make up my mind how I want it mounted ? Do you have any pics of your striper ? Thanks Fish-head

fredaevans
01-29-2003, 01:11 AM
Here PIGGY, PIGGY, PIGGY.

:whoa:

boarmountain
01-29-2003, 09:02 AM
As a full time taxidermist for over 20 years , I would recomend AGAINST a skin mnount for a striped bass.The skin mounts don't hold up over time because of the oil content in the skin.You will get skin cracking, and oil bleed through , showing up as brown stains on the gill covers and belly. This is not a question of if, but when.I will not do stripers as skin mounts.This hold true for any oily fish. When a piece leaves my studio w/ my name on it , I want to make sure it's top quality.

fish-head
01-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Boar- thanks for the info .I am not mounting a Striper . Are Salmon and Steelhead , as oily as well ? Fish-head

boarmountain
01-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Yes they are. I will do trout, ect. up to about 15lbs as a skin mount. I would also use an artificial head. Bigger than that and I would do a reproduction mount. I specialize in reproduction fish, "catch and release" taxidermy. I also do skin mounts .This is a male steelhead reproduction. Not a very good pic, but you get the idea.This fish was around 19lbs.

striblue
01-29-2003, 11:54 AM
I will post a pic of the skin mount which is down the Cape and my Fiber glass one from Wally Brown out of Falmouth...That one is at home ...tonight.