Northern PA Rivers? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Northern PA Rivers?

willmullis
01-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Just wanted to know if anyone has had the opportunity to fish any of the tribs in northern PA. I fished Elk Creek about a month ago and had a little success. I'm sure most of the tribs are frozen over. I can't wait for it to start warming up a little.

cohocola
01-28-2003, 01:54 PM
The Conneaute river (in Ohio & PA) is still open under the route-7 bridge on the Ohio side...

willmullis
01-29-2003, 09:17 AM
I'm sure every steelhead angler in the area is in that one spot since the rest is frozen.

I seen some older women catching steelhead on the Grand on TV the other night on the Ohio News Network and that gave me the bug to get back up there. Guess I just gotta be patient

pmflyfisher
01-29-2003, 11:57 AM
All fly fisherman must be patient, other wise they do not last more than one frustrating season in this sport.

Especially steelhead and salmon fly fisherman, since the probablity of success is lower than regular river trout fishing. The fish may not even be in the river or the section of the river you are fishing.

Knowledge of the timing of your rivers andramous fish runs if very important. Maybe the most important piece of information.

You cannot catch them no matter how good a fly fisherman you are if they are not there.

I learned those lessons 20 years ago the hard way. There were no internet sites back then nor email to keep you up to date on conditions.

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Interesting insight, add luck to the mix also.

Be lucky enough to be there when the fish are.