Superbowl Winnings [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Superbowl Winnings

MarkDoogue
01-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Superbowl squares seem to be an occupational hazard in my line of work.

It is truly the only form of gambling that I do every year. I have 4 or 5 customers who I can really trust to be on the, "up and up" so every year I pay them a visit and jump in with both feet.

I've won every year since 1999. Sometimes it's a four figure pay out, sometimes just three. This year was no exception, a high three figure pay out. Less all combined entrance costs I'm left over with enough to buy a great vise, a few recommended tying books and plenty of material.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Pete, I look at this windfall as the fly tying gods telling me to go forth and purchase a vise. Thanks for the offer to thin the YAC's herd of tying tools. I'll be in touch.

Which sponsor should get my money? Can I see a list of suitable candidates?

A tying we will go.....a tying we will go...............

Penguin
01-28-2003, 12:27 AM
To never stand directly in front of a speeding freight train,
a determined woman...
or a hungry consumer!
With a little zen coaching, we might guide you in such a way that you do it...
RIGHT the FIRST time!
It'll be costly but, if you keep you eyes on the prize, not AS costly!

MarkDoogue
01-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Pete, I'm leaning towards the Renzetti SW Traveler.

MarkDoogue
01-28-2003, 09:29 PM
By the way, I'll be purchasing from my local FFF sponsor, Old Salt Outfitters in Hingham.

I went to Junior High with Mike.

JimW
01-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Mark, Say hi to Mike for me. He took me out for BBFT last year, what a blast.

Penguin
01-28-2003, 10:02 PM
Go with a cam lever rather than a thumb screw...
also...If you are going to do alot of epoxy "tilt sculpturing" (moving the ooze as the fly turns to where you think it should go) a fixed vice axis will limit this creative opportunity...
I use and enjoy my HKH for this reason...I can shift the axis as the fly is rotated and I can encourage the flow to go where it is desired (toward the nose or tail)...

Go to your local fly shop and look/compare/play with...and maybe tye a few on...to better get a feel for what you're buying. If "they" frown on this, then you would be best served by finding a more user friendly source to supply your gear.
Do it right the first time and only do it once!

FredA
01-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Go with the cam lever if you get the sw traveler - the thumb screw s%*ks. It's only a few dollars more.