: Shimp Swap

Adrian
01-26-2003, 05:02 PM
http://www.avsharp.com/shrimpswap0103.jpg

Hook: Gamakatsu SC15 - size 1
Thread: Yellow
Body: Yellow seals fur sub
Egg Spot: Hot orange seals fur sub
Leggs: Grizzle cock hackle palmered and trimmed on top.
Antenae/feelers: Hot Orange bucktail with a few hairs of grey squirel over - about 3/4 length of bucktail
Flash: Optional - I used a single strand of golden tan kristal flash doubled as a pair of feelers.
Eyes: Golden Pheasant tippet
Shell back: Teal flank

This one is for backwater / quiet quiet evenings & nights. I wanted something that would land softly and stay near the surface on a slow 'twitch' retrieve. No particular pattern - more a style based on traditional patterns.

I tried using softex on some of the teal flank feathers but found that spit does just as good a job. The technique is take a nicely marked flank feather of the right size and strip away all barbules to leave a spear-head shape. The length I look for is enough to reach just short of the tippet eyes. Wet with spit, fold it over the body and tie down using a pinch-and-loop move at the eye. If all goes well, it should partially 'tent' the body.

John, where do I send these - will you email and address?

JimW
01-26-2003, 05:07 PM
I want one!

Adrian, That's one classy looking shrimp. Can't wait to see how your flatwings turn out.

Doc Duprey
01-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Adrian,

Oh, sure...up the ante, why don't you?

These are reslly sweet, but now I have to tie the G.P.s, just to stay in the league. Man, the competition here is tough:D

Nice work, my friend!

Best regards,

-Doc

Adrian
01-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Doc & Jim

Thanks for the compliments! I had thought about doing General Practitioners, but the original Colonel Esmond Drury pattern is a bit time consuming.

This seemed like a reasonable compromise.

Moron_Saxatilis
01-27-2003, 05:37 AM
Nice shrimps, I don't like the one's with epoxy or candy wrappers too much. Is there a shrimp swap somewhere? If so I'll do it. I am waiting for a golden pheasant skin to come in any day now. Planning on tying some G.P.'s from Ken's book.

saltydog
01-27-2003, 06:03 PM
ADRIAN, thoes are GREAT, :D
'' GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

striblue
01-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Adrian...Those look excellent... nice color and shape..I like the salmon influence... I will pm you my address to send them in.

Doc Duprey
01-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Adrian,

Point taken. The orignal is a bit fussy. I was thinking of the Ken Abrames version, but hit on a West Coast steelhead shrimp that looks promising. Think I will go with that . Just gotta do it quick.

Best regards,

-SPD