Quintesential Saltwater Tying Book? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Quintesential Saltwater Tying Book?

MarkDoogue
01-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Okay, I've tied one fly in my entire life.

Actually, it was at a tying session, at last years show, with Art Sawyer.

It was remarkably like one of those bad airline disaster movies where the guy in the tower(played by Art) talks a complete idiot(guess who??:hehe:)through the process of safely landing the plane on a crowded runway.

Anyway, I'm going to give it some effort and see what happens. I just need to be pointed in the right direction as far as self tutelage is concerned.

I found a "newbie" thread where Juro spelled out the best starter kit as far as materials are concerned. I just need a book or two to look at.

Let me have it gentlemen.

Dble Haul
01-25-2003, 11:32 AM
To acquire the basics, an introductory book by Orvis or LL Bean wouldn't hurt. And for specific fly types, Pop Fleyes is good for getting started with epoxy and making saltwater baitfish imitations. There's also Lefty's book of salt water patterns, although this is more an index of recipes with written instructions (no step by step pictures).

Have fun!

jfbasser
01-25-2003, 11:32 AM
Take a look at "Tying Contemporary Saltwater Flies' by David Klausmeyer. That gives a look at a broad spectrum of "modern" flies. It's available at fly shops. I started tying recently and at least this book gives good photos of flies. I am always amazed at how ugly my attempts are when compared to the photos:hehe:
The instructions for a "Ray's fly" and other traditional streamers are all over the internet and in books such as the "Perfect Fish" by Abrames. If I find a good set of instructions on the internet I print them out and put them in a three hole binder. I've found that the traditional skills rather than the modern skills are easier to learn for me, anyway. Might be an over 50 short term memory thing.:D

DFix
01-25-2003, 08:07 PM
Doogie -

There are several sites where you can see step-by-steps. One of which, www.flyanglersonline.com - very helpful.

Or, you can break your sorry A$$ free on the first Thursday of every month and join several of your 'challenged' ;) (No offense, Grasshopper :cool: ) brethren at UFT at the Burlington K of C Hall:smokin:

Sprocket
01-25-2003, 09:12 PM
MD - UFT is just the ticket, as the King Curmudgeon suggested. TON & TONS of info for the newbie & Seasoned scissor-hands alike.

books: "Fly Tying Made Clear & Simple" by Skip Morris will give you a great base for handling different materials of all types - apply them as you will to saltwater patterns.

Advise:
1) Try to go wherever material is being applied to a hook - you will learn something new almost every time.
2) Pick a fly & get whatever you need to tie it, make a dozen or two. Then pick another one - the infection will fester all by it's self...

Congrats & good luck young Jedi.

Yoda - non taken. I'm the first to say I'm not good at it - I just enjoy doing it. Everybody else just says I'm not good at it...

TMS,
Jedi in Training.