New Ford Explorer for Fly Fishermen [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Ford Explorer for Fly Fishermen

MarkDoogue
01-24-2003, 11:14 PM
I didn't believe it until I saw the auto-show footage, click here for the Ford Explorer Sportsman (http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/45676/page035.html#/).

Here is the promo:

This tricked-out Explorer is designed to fulfill fly anglers' dreams of finding calm and unspoiled waters of the perfect wilderness fishing location. Based on the 2002 Explorer powered by a 240-horsepower, 4.6-liter V8, the Sportsman is for a back-to-nature fly-fishing trip.

Outfitted with Scott fly-fishing rods, the Sportsman is finished in a low-gloss, satin metallic green with satin-finished front and rear chrome skid plates that provide durability for trips to lakes, rivers, streams, and the woodlands in between. A custom integrated hood and grille have also been added.

The running boards, which deploy when the doors are opened, also serve as additional storage for fishing rods and other gear.

One of the more prominent features on the Sportsman is its fully detachable roof rack. It extends forward and folds down so that fishing rods, nets and other items can be loaded from the side of the vehicle. Modular attachments are positioned on the rooftop to carry additional equipment such as bikes, tents, or whatever the trip calls for. In a fixed position, the roof rack arms swing outward to form a basket for carrying fly-fishing equipment. The bottom of the basket is trimmed with Bloodwood slats. Also on the Sportsman are 17-inch custom wheels, halogen headlights and LED rear lighting.

Inside the Sportsman, the seat inserts and lower trim panels are wrapped in medium, pebble-woven leather. The upper doortrim panels, instrument panel, and front and rear floormats are finished in Bloodwood. Leather-covered door handles and a Bloodwood steering wheel with alloy accents finish the look. The dash has a GPS screen controlled by an on-board mouse, which allows input only when the vehicle is in "park." The seatbacks also have detachable carry packs that deploy out to function as workbenches for fly tying. These benches are removable to allow the angler to tie flys on site.

Our lobbying power is beginning to amaze me.:hehe:

juro
01-25-2003, 06:54 AM
Pretty neat... although the livewell is a bit out of touch for the fly angler (typically). I guess it would make a great beer cooler. :hehe:

What I REALLY want from Detroit is a hybrid SUV that allows for (1) city commuting in hybrid electric mode offering extreme efficiency and mileage in the 40 mph class while (2) allowing for a flip of the switch to go full gas mode in deep sand, snow and rough terrain on the weekends.

The rest is just fluff although I do appreciate Ford's gesture toward flyfishermen and it does have a nice outdoorsy look. I wouldn't mind having one for sure.

thanks for the scoop Mark!

pmflyfisher
01-25-2003, 07:36 AM
Read last night in a news article there are approximately
4 million fly fisherman in the U.S. Any body think that is accurate ?

Love that color schme "low gloss satin metallic green" would go well with my camoflauged hats and dark green vest.

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-25-2003, 08:47 AM
I just ordered my new wheels, Volvo xc 90 AWD SUV.

Pretty sweet ride, plenty of pep, and able to tackle any 2 track.

aknightinak
01-26-2003, 10:06 AM
IFS already drives me nuts off road; I don't want to add IRS to the mix. Tackles any two-track and then some.

on my way to check out some new water (http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Board/iB_html/uploads/post-3-28346-dollarck.jpg)

BigDave
01-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Beautiful vehicle but a little over the top for me. Those leather seats don't look like they'd take to a pair of wet waders all that well :hehe: The benches and rack are a good idea but this rig is really more appealing to the kind of person who identifies with the sport but doensn't really spend all that much time on the water.

My .02

2HandTheSalt
01-27-2003, 10:22 AM
Am I the only one trying to figure out how a livewell made it into a supposed, " Fly fishing sport utility?"

Overheard somewhere near Dearborn:

Engineer one, “ But fly fishermen don’t use live bait!”

Engineer two, “ But we just spent six months and $ 1,200,00 developing the first sport utility fly fishing live-baitwell.”

Head of design team,” Are we absolutely certain that live bait fisherman don’t use fly fishing sport utility vehicles?”

Head of marketing, " Current research indicates that live bait fisherman drive 23-year old full size pickup trucks."

Engineer one,” We could conduct a new study.”

Head of design team,” How long would it take and how much would it cost?”

Engineer one, “ Three months and $ 400,000.”

Head of design team,” Too long, we need to get this thing to market before Honda scoops us on it.”

Engineer two, “ Maybe the fly fishermen will switch over to live bait once they see the usefulness of the live well.”

Head of marketing,” Great idea-we will work that into the print campaign!”

Head of design team, “ New business: Where do we stand on implementation of the eel slime-proof leatherette fly fishing interior?”
_____________________________-

Do I smell a candidate for next year's Striblue list?

JimW
01-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Jay, that's too funny.:chuckle: Probably not far from the truth either.

I'll stick with my old Jeep, 230k and still kicking.

John Desjardins
01-27-2003, 12:31 PM
Hey, that live well would be great for a built in cooler for cold refreshments. :tsk_tsk:

Lipripper
01-27-2003, 12:37 PM
Engineer two, “ Maybe the fly fishermen will switch over to live bait once they see the usefulness of the live well.”
:hehe: Not bloody likely!

Keep in mind. These ideas stemmed from a Michigan (fishing?) Mentality. I can only say that cause I live here. I'm a current owner of an Explorer and 100k miles later all I can say is I think they have a couple other issues to sort out before they put live wells into their SUVs. Now if the back folded out into a tying station...then they might be onto something.

LR

sean
01-27-2003, 01:30 PM
I do like the running board fly rod storage system though. That is pretty cool and much better than my system of ductape and string on my roof rack.

Just wish ford and others would start working on the fuel economy. Hybrid engines = good.

-sean

juro
01-27-2003, 01:41 PM
We are on the same page with that Sean. Scaleable, hybrid truck engines with an on-demand override capability would be huge.

I hope the hybrid trend blossoms into a new generation of dual-mode vehicles: ultra-efficiency for commuting, full power for work and play.

How about a gyroscopic self-leveling fold-away rotary vise on the steering wheel for tying at highway speeds? :devil:

Nick
01-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Hey Juro/Sean,

Not exactly what you're talking about, but on the right track!

www.hybridford.com

Look familiar??

Nick

John Desjardins
01-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by juro
How about a gyroscopic self-leveling fold-away rotary vise on the steering wheel for tying at highway speeds? :devil:

I can see a future Darwin award candidates accident report saying "lost control while driving after glueing thumbs together with zap a gap" :devil:

sean
01-27-2003, 05:58 PM
www.hybridford.com

Ah man. Wonder how hard it would be to retrofit my 2002:rolleyes:

To bad the towing capacity is so low....

-sean

jborkowski
01-27-2003, 06:00 PM
I believe the Sportsman was released as a concept car in 2001. I'll have to get in touch with my friends at Ford to see if the prototype is still lingering around.

Nick
01-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Sean...my 2K1 has 40K under its belt and running great. I love it! It carrys my Kayak just fine ;).

Nick

willmullis
01-28-2003, 08:14 AM
I haven't seen the price tag yet, but I am sure it outragous. It is cool, but I'm not sure it gonna be a big hit with the outdoorsman. I really think the EX Challenge is cool which was the second vehicle they showed in the video. Now that thing rocks!!!

BigDave
01-28-2003, 08:24 AM
Hey Nick,

You ski? I noticed the avatar - nice!

Dave

jfbasser
01-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Your right J, the video clip has audio that says that it is a 2001 vehicle.

Nick
01-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Yup Dave...Summertime I'm on the Flats...winter its Moutains! That pic is from my Christmas Trip to Switzerland (Grindelwald). It was AMAZING. Absolutely Gorgeous!

Nick

pmflyfisher
01-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Aaah, Grindewald, The Lauberhorn, The Eiger, The Munch, Wengen, Interlaken etc. Was there for a few days 5 years ago about this time in late January. Seeing the North Wall of the Eiger (The Death Wall) was awesome with my Swiss friends who were playing "indian guide" for me.

Spectacular scenery go there if you ever have the chance. Got some great pictures, a matter of fact have a picture of an avalanche that occured while it was happening when I was there. My swiss friend who is a big skier never saw an avalanche his whole life in Switzerland and he came from the skiing canton.

Climbing the Eiger's North Wall is a very risky sport. One climber who fell hung for close to 2 years before they could get him down !

OK, now back to fly fishing, but go if you ever have the chance. Forget the fly rods not much up there to trout or grayling fish and lots of private waters.

Pm Out

Lipripper
01-28-2003, 12:30 PM
"Climbing the Eiger's North Wall is a very risky sport. One climber who fell hung for close to 2 years before they could get him down !":whoa: Really?

Can you imagine running into someone after that and having to answer the question..."Where ya been? Haven't seen ya in a while."

LR

pmflyfisher
01-28-2003, 01:31 PM
You also will not be able to take Ford Explorer FF model or any other car up to it. Cog Railway only straight up the valley to The Jung Frau, The Monch, The Eiger. peaks Check it out in the link below. They call it the Top Of Europe.

It was an Italian climber as I recall who hung there for almost two years. I got some books on climbing The Eiger after seeing it. A light plane flying by it looked like a bird, I swear to god. Its big and steep.

I got some great pictures there with my Nikon on that business trip.

http://www.skiswitzerland.com/jungfrauregion.html

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-28-2003, 03:53 PM
They scaled it in WWII no sweat. They kicked gerry's butt off of it.

Tod D
01-28-2003, 08:34 PM
I love when posts take on a life of their own...

Continuing the Eiger vein... great book by John Krakauer, "Eiger Dreams", on his climbing adventures. Terrific stuff.

pmflyfisher
01-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Yes have one of Krakeuer's books.

PM Out

P.S. I have some great pictures of the Eiger, one right here in my office blown up. Sometimes I think I am literally climbing it here at work !!

No digitals though maybe I should have a few scanned and digitized ?

removed_by_request
01-29-2003, 01:31 PM
If you can digitize the negative. Much cleaner that doing the pic.

pmflyfisher
01-29-2003, 01:54 PM
I have the negatives some where in our 26 year family archive of family events, baseball, football, basketball, volley ball, fishing pictures some wheres.

Pm Out

P.S. MJYP this area is in Switzerland, neutral country, no gerrys there and no US troops in WWII for sure, nor ever in Switzerland to my knowledge. I could also check with many Swiss army friends. I work for a major swiss company. :)

fredaevans
01-29-2003, 02:01 PM
She has one picture of "us" on a snow covered balconey with the Eiger in the background. In the don't trust anything you see dept: I was 'cut and pasted' from someother photo and she plopped me next to her.

Great photo ...... except the closest I've ever been to Swizlnd. is about 33,000 feet straight up, flying over it in an airplane.

pmflyfisher
01-29-2003, 02:37 PM
You should have went with her, thats all I have to say on this. Pictures don't do the area justice and I have got some great ones.

Remember the Schilthorn ? Thats their to, which is where they filmed one of the Sean Connery James Bond Movies at the mountain top restaurant on the Schilthorn. Its near Murren on that map on the web site link I posted.

I would give up a steelhead spey fly fishing trip to go back to this area, thats how cool it is. Plus I have many swiss friends to see and guide me working for this country the last 14 years. I would have my pick of swiss guides.

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-29-2003, 02:56 PM
Plus they make really good watches.

2HandTheSalt
01-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Excellent cheese, too.

pmflyfisher
01-29-2003, 03:28 PM
fyi

They have fondue restaurants there, thats all you can order.

There watches are too expensive, I checked it out with my swiss fiends and on the Bahnhoffstrass in Zurich.

PM Out

John Desjardins
01-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Interesting about the watches being too expensive. About ten years ago I had a friend pick up a swiss army knife for me in switzerland. It was more expensive than here.:rolleyes: Good knife though.

removed_by_request
01-29-2003, 03:38 PM
They aren't that bad, you can pick up a Movado for $700- $800 US.

Plus you can't take it with you. You can hand down that nice watch to your kids.