winter FF [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: winter FF

SDHflyfisher
01-24-2003, 10:59 AM
i am going out this weekend. i have never FF in the winter before and just was wondering if you guys out there had any tips for me thanks
Sean

pmflyfisher
01-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Nymphs drifted deep in the deepest holes, look for ground springs where vegetation is growing, in the creek, dress warm, bring a change of clothes, if it is in single digit temps, don't go far from your car in case you fall in.

Bring some lip balm or stanleys deicer and put on your rod guides to limit icing.

No snow on ground in wisconsin from what I hear, so you will not have to worry about snow accumulating on your felt soles which can be dangerous.

Watch out for shelf ice in the river.

Release all fish caught ASAP.

Have fun, I love winter trout and steelhead fishing, etc..

PM Out

BigDave
01-24-2003, 11:09 AM
Keep you expectations realistic. One fish landed is a good day for me this time of year.

Like Hal said, if it's really cold try to release the fish without taking it out of the water.

Go small and enjoy your time on the river when few people see it.

Handwarmers in the wading jacket are key.

Have fun!

SDHflyfisher
01-24-2003, 11:31 AM
today i am going to find our hand warmers which me and my dad got for ice fishing. me and nbrandon are both going and the stream is pretty small as long as the fish are not under the frozen pond at the head of the stream we should be able to catch some is is a spring so the temp stays fairly the same thanks for the tips.
Sean

SDHflyfisher
01-24-2003, 03:54 PM
do you guys have any specific fly recomendations?

Sean

BigDave
01-24-2003, 03:57 PM
If you're trout fishing - midges and glo-bugs

SDHflyfisher
01-24-2003, 04:05 PM
i thought midges might be the way to go.

SDHflyfisher
01-28-2003, 03:43 PM
the trip was a success. caught 4 brookies. the biggest on an olive scud. saw plenty of big browns. PM you should have taken my offer.:hehe:

pmflyfisher
01-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Sdhflyfisher,

Had there been steelhead in that creek I might have been tempted. How big were the brookies ?

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
01-29-2003, 03:21 PM
the biggest brookie i caught was about 10" or so the big browns i saw were somewhere around 15-20" and it is a pond the is a stream there but it is too small for anything really. have to go downstream to see how big it is.

SDHflyfisher
01-31-2003, 03:41 PM
hopefully heading out again this weekend this time i'll try to catch the browns maybe a bugger will do the trick we'll see PMflyfisher would youlike to come?