Fly Swap- Special--Flat wing--First Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Swap- Special--Flat wing--First Report

striblue
01-23-2003, 10:03 PM
First report on the "Special" fly swap[ which is running concurrently with the Shrimp swap...BUT these flies are due Mid March... Flat Wings..three feather.... Here are the participants as I see it.. Please sign on here if you want in... and check to see if I left you off by mistake... also, as in the other post.. please keep all future posts for this swap on this thread so we don't have to hunt back or miss a message.....The group----Birdfish, BoarMountain, Joe Wojtan,Adrian, Brianf27,JimS, Quentin,Doc Duprey, Shad freak, Saltydog, Eddie, JimW. DFix, and Tod D.... I think that is it.... BUT others CAN sign up... just don't leave yourself without enough time.. these only work well if everyone plans on finishing around the same time..I don't think I needed to say that... Good luck.

boarmountain
01-23-2003, 10:14 PM
So, how many do we have to tie ?

striblue
01-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Mike ..just 6.. and one extra for a fly display hopefully for the Wilmington show. Same rules as the other swaps.. this makes it less difficult to complete the swap and allows people in at any time or if we have drop outs.. Tying as many as we have participants can get difficult for those reasons.. so I divide them up and everyone gets someone elses fly.. Oh .. except you , you have to tie all 14....or 28 so everyone gets one or preferable 2 of yours.;)

juro
01-24-2003, 05:48 AM
Typically 6 but any agreed number plus one for the swap meister as a tradition. Each swapper should get that many back from others, none of his own of course (don't laugh it's happened).

If it's a small group and/or people tie to match the number of participants everyone gets one of everyone elses. Unfortunately most of the time there are more participants than reasonable number of flies to tie, so it's cut off at 6 (7 w. meister fly).

The swapmeister is responsible for taking images or scanning, then providing the images for tyers to post with their recipes and descriptions on the board.

Swap participants should enclose adequate postage and re-usable packing for the meister, also tradition.

Deadlines should be met, but if agreed they can be extended. People who are unable to deliver their flies hold up the show. We often have reasonable extensions of time where everyone agrees but in some cases people do not make the cut off.

Swappers must be punctual in delivering the flies to swap participants.

and all that jazzzzz

It must be FUN ;)

saltydog
01-24-2003, 05:58 PM
O.K. if it doesn't upset anyone. Im game, Ill do 14,+ 1 extra for the show 15. if anyone elso would like to join in.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN" :smokin:

striblue
01-29-2003, 11:53 PM
Bumping this up to the top... DO I HAVE ALL PARTICIPANTS AS OF NOW? ..How are you guys doing?

joe wojtan
01-30-2003, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by striblue
Bumping this up to the top... DO I HAVE ALL PARTICIPANTS AS OF NOW? ..How are you guys doing? [/QUOTE

John
I have seven of mine ready to go, will post a picture later.
Joe

boarmountain
01-30-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm done. Tell me where to mail them.
Mike

Quentin
01-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Um, I haven't even started yet -- I'm still trying to fulfill my "Shrimp Swap" obligations :o . Those Ultra Shrimp should be called Ultra PITA Shrimp :hehe:

Flatwings are due in mid March, right?

I'll give it a whirl, but I still need to see if I can tie some that are worthy of submitting. I may also need to pick up some more hackles, which I will be able to do at the Newport event.

Q

boarmountain
01-30-2003, 01:05 PM
Here are mine.

striblue
01-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Excellent Mike ...... Q..Yes..it is Due by Mid march... since we started it two weeks after the shrimp swap..

joe wojtan
01-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by boarmountain
I'm done. Tell me where to mail them.
Mike

What Mike said
Joe

Tod D
01-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Boar Mtn - Very, very nice. Looks kind of like Abrame's False Dawn pattern. Is that one of your custom blue capes?

boarmountain
01-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Yes they are "false dawn's", and yes , two different blue capes.One pale lt blue and one a little darker. Worked pretty good last year.

Doc Duprey
01-30-2003, 11:04 PM
BoarMtn.

Nice look with the two shades of blue. Seems to me that it gives the sasme sort of effect that mixing bucktail colors does...more depth and more of a feeling of life. I like it a lot.

Haven't fished any False Dawns...yet. Think I should fix that this season, and think I'll try the mixed hackles.

Thanks, and keep tyin'!

-Doc

boarmountain
01-31-2003, 07:09 AM
The two tone w/ the same color works well ,I tied one up in shades of purple I called the "Purple Mist" that was very good also.
Mike

boarmountain
01-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Here is another pic. I was messing w/ the settings on my camera.

DFix
01-31-2003, 01:31 PM
Have you posted the purple one? it would be interesting as well :)

boarmountain
01-31-2003, 02:16 PM
Here is the "purple mist". I did post it about a month ago, but here it is again.

saltydog
01-31-2003, 05:51 PM
O.K. heres mt FLATWINGS for the SWAP,
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

JimW
01-31-2003, 06:12 PM
Mike, Is that a bucktail veil or are you using something else for the collar on those FW's?

Salty, I'm thinking MACK. I like 'em.

boarmountain
01-31-2003, 06:15 PM
Sparce bucktail.

joe wojtan
01-31-2003, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by saltydog
O.K. heres mt FLATWINGS for the SWAP,
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin: [/QUOTE

Salty
The size of your flatwings pictures, does not do them any justice for all your efforts.
I personaly would love to see your flies that could be a lot more clear by making the picture bigger, unless you are having problems increasing the size.
But I would like to see these.
Joe

saltydog
02-01-2003, 06:31 AM
JOE, I cant seem to be able to post BIGGER pics I do them under the 600x500.BUT it says TO BIG. I have to put them up at 250 pixels, an it takes it. can you HELP. SHOULD I change file, Im lost. Ill e-mail you abetter pic.

jfbasser
02-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Maybe a few guys with the more detailed pics could post their preferred camera settings and details of any cropping that they do with their software. I am not an expert in this stuff but my guess is that a few ideas on settings could be helpful if posted.

joe wojtan
02-01-2003, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by boarmountain
Here is the "purple mist". I did post it about a month ago, but here it is again. [/QUOTE

Mike
You and Salty, should post larger picture of you flies, when you first started posting your pic they were a delight to view.
Please do it again
Joe

saltydog
02-01-2003, 03:52 PM
JOE, I sent you a bigger pic, VIA E-MAIL that should be better

boarmountain
02-01-2003, 05:00 PM
That is as big as I've posted on this site because of the byte limit.
I have posted bigger pics on other sites.

boarmountain
02-08-2003, 08:42 AM
John,
Sent out my flies Thurs. LMK when you get them.
Mike B

striblue
02-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Thanks Mike... I will post second status reports on both swaps tonight.

joe wojtan
02-08-2003, 02:16 PM
John
My seven Grey Ghost's will be in the mail monday, on 2/10/03
Joe

saltydog
02-08-2003, 05:21 PM
JOE, your doing GRAY GHOSTS?:) WOW the guys I fish w/ up north would kill for them. "GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin: