Nick's 37" Monomoy Blondie [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nick's 37" Monomoy Blondie

juro
07-25-2001, 03:12 PM
Three feet of water, sighted and cast to with a clear intermediate (tip) in bright sunshine on North Monomoy Island.

Nice job Nick!

J.Mukai Photo

Nick
07-25-2001, 03:23 PM
Juro,
Awesome shot. I can't get that image out of my head! What a day.
Nick

Craig
07-25-2001, 03:42 PM
Way to go Nick!

Roop
07-25-2001, 04:28 PM
Now THAT's a fish!!

Nice job Nick, sorry I had to leave and didn't get to see it in person.

Well done Juro!

Adrian
07-25-2001, 04:49 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! We are building quite a cohort of "flats rats".

doogue
07-25-2001, 08:28 PM
Nick,

After seeing you lay out some beautiful casts on the flats last Saturday I am sure that you earned that fish. Couldn't happen to a better guy. And the pack that you were wearing seemed perfect for the flats. Where did you get that pack? Wasn't it a demo pack or something?

Later.

-Mike

striblue
07-25-2001, 08:47 PM
Nick... that's a great smile... I can see why... keep it up.

FishHawk
07-26-2001, 04:29 AM
Great shot and good work Nick. Hope we can do as well on the Rip Trip.
FishHawk

Tod D
07-26-2001, 06:49 AM
Beauty Nick! Maybe I should be asking you for some flies too!;D

Can't make Dux Bay tonight, but I'll look to catch up with you in the near future.

Nick
07-26-2001, 07:11 AM
Mike,
The pack that I had was a Kelty Blanca shown here
http://www.kelty.com/pix/packs/blanca_1.jpg.
It ended up being perfect for the flats and an all around great pack. You're right I did pick it up from a Nissan Test Drive deal, so since it was free, that makes it all the better. Campmor has it for sale
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=6113724.

Tod,
I am not going to be able to make it tonight either. Maybe next week.

I also have TONS more of those plastic boxes if people are still interested, Dfix?

juro
07-26-2001, 07:26 AM
Nick -

I'll take another bunch, can't rationalize them being thrown out like that.

That pack was very cool, the hydration system is a real plus on the flats.

Professor Bodkin's chest packs have a hydration bag and tube as well, very good combination.

Sprocket
07-26-2001, 07:36 AM
the price of those hydration bags are nuts - I've got a too many bags as it is.

FWIW: I use an MSR dromedory bag (about 1.5 liter - the purple one) and a hose kit by MSR - if fits in every bag I already own and can be removed when neccissary - cost for both is about $30, mileage may vary

jborkowski
07-26-2001, 07:38 AM
Nick (07-26-2001 08:13 a.m.):

I also have TONS more of those plastic boxes if people are still interested, Dfix?

Nick, add me to the plastic boxes list.

Merci. Will repay somehow.

Nick
07-26-2001, 08:11 AM
Jeff, I'll keep a bunch in my car so next time I'm down there, I'll give them out to all. Then you guys can distribute or keep them. I have about 30-40 in my car now, I'm gonna grab another box today. As long as they don't go directly to the landfill from my office, I feel like I"ve done a little something for the planet.
Nick

Nick
07-26-2001, 09:16 AM
Juro,
I forgot to mention that this was the first fish with the new hat on. Man, it must have been the hat!
NIck

DFix
07-26-2001, 10:10 AM
Yes, Nick - I'm in for more. Let's look to the next week or two to connect again, okay???

Do you still have my email address and fone numbers? I have to review my email for yours, though I think I have them.

Great catch by the way - that fish was certainly earned. Congrats :)

juro
07-26-2001, 11:14 AM
Nick (07-26-2001 10:16 a.m.):
Juro,
I forgot to mention that this was the first fish with the new hat on. Man, it must have been the hat!
NIck

Thanks for the advice on the dark underside on the brim, since you mentioned it I've noticed a huge difference.

Although the other legal fish weren't as big as that girl, I'll never forget how perfect that one you caught on the west flat played out... from approach to swing to take to photo. I have the photo BTW.

Nick
07-26-2001, 11:32 AM
Juro,
I learned the dark hat thing from baseball and I remember reading it some flats book a while back, but it definitely helps. I have pondered the idea of those stick on eye black patches, but have not gone so far as to actually try them. The idea is that looking out into a bright area from a dark one allows your eyes to work so much better, kinda like sitting on a porch in the summer. Your eyes are comfortable in the shade allowing you to see the bright areas around in greater detail. I would love to see the rest of the pictures on that roll, it was a great day for photos with the sky and sun so bright and clear.
Nick

Bri-RN
07-26-2001, 02:16 PM
Great Fish Nick,

Look forward to heading out again soon and hitting into some fish.
I'll be down the Cape again this w/e in Sandwich.
Call me cell and let's head out if you are down there.
Brian Z.

Nick
07-26-2001, 02:26 PM
BrianZ,
I'll be in CT this weekend. Sorry I missed last weekend, Pete said that you guys got into some fish for a while on S. Beach or Monomoy. I should be heading out next weekend though, I'll keep you posted.
Nick

striblue
07-26-2001, 03:54 PM
Nick. please save some of those boxes for me if you can.. thanks ,John

juro
07-26-2001, 09:22 PM
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/monomoy2001/juros/nick3.jpg

I don't know... maybe we ought to call Melissa Roberts Weidman.... }>

Nick
07-27-2001, 07:00 AM
Juro, we can use the royalties for Forum funding. I think that we should put out a calender of our own. Strickly fly fishing of course. We'd make a killing! :D

JimW
07-27-2001, 10:42 AM
Nick,
Nice fish!
If it's not too much trouble I'd love a few of those boxes. I can't make it to TNFF in Duxbury for the next couple weeks but if you get down there drop some off with Dave I'll get them.
Thanks.

The calendar sounds like a good idea, maybe a downloadable screen saver too.

juro
07-27-2001, 10:58 AM
We could combine this on the CD idea that Fishhawk had... that would work out really well. I have screensaver software, I think (have to check).

DFix
07-27-2001, 01:16 PM
striblue (07-26-2001 04:54 p.m.):
Nick. please save some of those boxes for me if you can.. thanks ,John

JOHN - YOUR PORTION OF THE LAST BATCH I GOT FROM NICK IS STILL WAITING IN MY LIVING ROOM - I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU SINCE I PICKED THEM UP.

striblue
07-27-2001, 03:10 PM
Not to worry... Dave... when we see each other.. Thanks.