Grizzly Blonde [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Grizzly Blonde

Dble Haul
01-23-2003, 08:04 PM
I tied up a mess of these in the hotel room at Marlboro, and a few folks requested the recipe. It's nothing more than the original Blonde with grizzly flanks. It slicks down really nice in the water.

Hook: 2XL size 1/0
Thread: 3/0 Chartruese
Tail: White bucktail with silver krystal flash
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: Chartruese over white bucktail
Flanks: Grizzly hackle
Eyes: Prismatic
Head: Light coating of epoxy

This color combo is the one I use most, but a strawberry blonde (red and orange) is pretty good too. So is an Argentine blonde (blue over white).

Quentin
01-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks Mark,

I really liked the looks of the strawberry blondes. Is that done by using red instead of chartreuse and orange instead of white for all materials? Or is the tail still white/silver? (Sorry, I don't remember exactly what they looked like after handling so many flies that day!)

Q

striblue
01-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Joe Brooks is looking down and smiling... wishing he had thought of it back when.

Dble Haul
01-23-2003, 10:05 PM
Quentin, the strawberry blonde would have a red tail with orange over red wing, or an orange tail with a red over orange wing. Either way, I'd change the tail flash from silver to copper krystal flash. It blends better.

Quentin
01-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Thanks Mark,

I was thinking the same thing with the flash. Either copper or gold would look better than silver.

Q

JimW
01-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Mark, Nice looking fly. If you want to experiment with some other types of flash, check out polarflash. The stuff swims nice gives, sort of a cross between flashabou and crystal flash.

CRegalis
01-24-2003, 01:01 PM
I LIKE that... 'nother one on my list. :)