Farmington River [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Farmington River

SDHflyfisher
01-23-2003, 11:41 AM
i know that there are plenty of you guys out there that have fished the farmington and i want to know what you think about it. and what flies you use and techniques you prefer to fish there. i only get to fish it in the summer when i am visiting my grandparents.

SDHflyfisher
01-24-2003, 03:56 PM
i prefer to use PMD's in the summer royal wulffs work great for the brookies in the faster current. wooly buggers work well and any traditional dry fly works

FishHawk
01-28-2003, 05:13 AM
Depends on what time of the year. Check the local flyshops for information. As a rule the elkhair caddis size 16 will work. The key to this river is presentation. The fish see a lot of flies. The less drag the better. FishHawk

BobK
01-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Try nymph fishing with a strike indicator, as well. Some nymphs that work virtually everywhere are hare's ear, prince nymph, pheasant tail, and peacock herl body, brown soft hackle that I tie. I prefer beadhead variations of these.
Just adjust the indicator on the leader 1 1/2 to 2 times the depth of the water, and fish as drag-free as possible, mending the line as you would with a dry fly. When the indicator goes down, lift up on the rod, and stand by for action. (yes, you do get occasional snags, but you have to, to catch fish consistently.)
Too many snags, shorten up on the distance from fly to indicator a little.
Easy? Well, yes. Does it work? As a matter of fact, yes. When fish aren't rising to dry flies, use this technique.

BobK

John Desjardins
01-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Missed this thread earlier. A couple of things that have worked for me on the Farmington are: fishing above or below the TMA's and fishing pocket water in fast stretches. The spots above or below the TMA's get a less pressure from fly fisherman than in the TMA's. So the fish are less likely to know your fly is a fake.
Fishing the pocket water covers up a multitude of angler sins. The noise of the river drowns out any noise from poor wading and the fast water makes a fish to think fast if it is to eat. Put your fly on the seams between fast & slow water around rocks. If you pursue this approach you will need a wading staff and felt sole boots at a minimum to be safe wading. A life preserver is a usefull adition. I've taken some unplanned swims in the Farmington and that water feels cold no matter what season.
There are some good shops near the river, they can give you good advice on what flys to use.

SDHflyfisher
01-28-2003, 03:42 PM
there's this one spot that i love but i won't tell you where it is. there is a man made structure that makes a large pool for the fingerling trout just ahead of it is a 3' riffle i have caught many trophy size trout is this riffle . the current isn't fast the surface is very rough like little mountain peaks and the trout can't see the flies too well so they aren't as picky. just down stream of that spot there is a nice pool created by some large rock where the big boys hang out really close to a beaver dam. get hung up alot but the fish are big.